Installing a dishwasher in an older home

I am looking to install an 18" under counter dishwasher in a 1922 built home that has never had a dishwasher. The previous owner had installed a garbage disposal. Unfortunately, instead of installing a double outlet, the disposal was hard wired. The home has newer wiring but is still running off of a fuse box. It looks as though there is a 20 amp fuse connected to the existing hardwired disposal.
My questions are: 1) What do I need to do to get power to the dishwasher? Add a new fuse to the box? Can I pull power from the exsiting wiring for the disposal? 2) If I power the DW from the existing disposal wiring do I have to add a power swithch to allow for power to the DW to be turned off? I realize differrent cities and counties have differrent codes.
Any other recommendations on how to handle this situation aer greatly appreciated. I've installed dishwashers before but I've always been lucky enough to be replacing an old one or dealing with new construction.
Thanks for the help.
subject to your local requirements: unless its installation manual advises otherwise: it should have its own separate circuit and wire from the fusebox. it is not likely that there is an unused circuit waiting for you in the old fusebox, especially since the disposal required a similar circuit. however, if you are using a gas stove, look over the main electrical panel and determine if the electrical RANGE circuit is unused. your electrician will advise you if with its 220v pair of cartridge fuses it could feed a new circuit breaker subpanel. make sure you get enough extra circuits and spare breakers for the next guy. your electrician will prefer to update your home service, and you may want that for central air or other modernization. this will allow modern features to be chosen on your new circuit breakers as well.
discobiscuit wrote:

I am looking to install an 18" under counter dishwasher in a 1922 built home that has never had a dishwasher. The previous owner had installed a garbage disposal. Unfortunately, instead of installing a double outlet, the disposal was hard wired. The home has newer wiring but is still running off of a fuse box. It looks as though there is a 20 amp fuse connected to the existing hardwired disposal.
My questions are: 1) What do I need to do to get power to the dishwasher? Add a new fuse to the box? Can I pull power from the exsiting wiring for the disposal? 2) If I power the DW from the existing disposal wiring do I have to add a power swithch to allow for power to the DW to be turned off? I realize differrent cities and counties have differrent codes. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Unless local codes prohibit, I see no problem running the DW off the Disposal circuit. You say the disposal is hard wired, most are, but you also have a wall switch to turn the disposal on & off.
If I was doing this, I turn the power off, in your case, remove the fuse. I'd cut the Disposal wire near where it goes into the wall. Mount an external wall box. Install an outlet. Use the outlet for both Disposal & DW.
I would FIRST upgrade the main electrical service to 200 amps with circuit breakers....
Look every time you decide to add something o your vintage home you will trying to work around the power issue:(
patch here patch there.
better to spend the bucks once and be done with the power troubles.
dishwashers are great convenience items.
but everyone must have a dependable power source.
while your redoing the ktchen intall 2 20 amp convenience circuits with GFCIs, seperate breaker for dishwasher, seperate for fridge, etc etc.
if your redoing the kitchen do it right do it once and relax then and enjoy your home.
replacing the service makes it worth more at resale time:)