Installing a ceiling fan in an existing light fixture

Hi,

I would like to install a ceiling fan. There is a small light where I would like to put it. Can I use the same fixture or does it require something more sturdy? How do I recognise this? I have access to the attic if need be.

Thank you in advance.

Regards, Phil

Reply to
Phil

Get up there and take a look.

The instructions which come with new fans should tell you what proper types of box support look like.

If the present box is just tacked onto a ceiling joist on one side, or nailed onto a piece of strapping between the joists you'll probably have to install better bracing for a safe installation. They sell adjustustable steel brackets for that purpose.

Better to be safe than sorry, do it right the first time.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Don't fool with it. Go to any good electrical ditrubutor and buy a Fasco 925 fan mounting box and the hardware to go with it. For the time it takes to change out the box, you will save more time installing the fan. And think how proud you'll be of having a first rate job! Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst