Installing a bathroom exhaust fan and the proper way to vent it...

Page 2 of 4
Your kidding right? Trap the duct?

That is done on all new buildings here. I just took a picture of one today. Can I upload binaries here? Do you really think a slight U in a 4" pipe is going to fill up with water from the minimal amount of snow or rain that might get into the pipe? If you get that much water in there the trap is NOT your problem. You have other problems. If you do not put the "trap" there where do you think that water goes. Right into your fan, your motor and your grill (if metal) and causes rust.

Good the picture came through.

Gary, I just can't agree. There should be no water or snow infiltration in a properly designed termination. (It has a damper in the exterior cap to prevent just that.)
By adding unnecessary twists and turns, you are adding some back pressure for the blower to overcome, which would degrade its performance (to whatever extent would depend on the specific system.) Also adding a trap could possibly cause some moisture in the air stream to condense prior to being evacuated (this would especially true if your roof cap has no damper and allows rail to enter). This would be undesirable as standing water could deteriorate the vinyl ducting over time. (I prefer metal ducting as the high heat in an attic can cause plastics to deteriorate over time).
In any case, a duct that runs as straight as possible is the most desirable way to vent, and millions of homes exist with roof terminations where this presents no problems at all.

The OP isnt showing, so....
The proper way to run a bathroom vent is simple, and to do it by code is simpler yet..
If the run is over 14 Feet, it needs to be metal snap lock pipe. Period. If water is getting into a vent pipe that feeds to the roof, the wrong cover is on it. If condensation is an issue, then you have the pipe obviously not ran in the best location and it should be relocated if possible, and again, if over 14 feet, metal ducting used, and if needed, insulate with proper duct wrap. Condensation, can also occur when you are using a fan with too low of a CFM for the space, or, trying, as others have said to make it harder than it needs to be, and installing a bunch of so called traps (that are not to code here anyway) and raising the static pressure of a tiny POS fan..unless you are using Panasonics.
I've never looked at the Panasonics. You like them?

They cost a bit more, but you cant hear them run, you cant beat them for what they do, and they aint too shabby looking either.
The best

Hi Dennis, did you see the picture I posted. That is how all the new buildings have their bathroom fans installed now.

I think the AHJ needs to talk with that builder. It's not to code that I'm aware of. (But hey, I've seen worse...) Have a great Thanksgiving. Dennis

Jim wrote:

As indicated by others, non of the above.
Through the sidewall or the roof. A poor third would be through the soffit, which may not be code locally.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
" Through the sidewall or the roof. A poor third would be through the soffit, which may not be code locally. "
I don't know where venting a bathroom fan out the soffit is a code violation? Here in NJ most homes are done that way and we are about as regulated as it gets. I don't see anything wrong with doing a soffit vent.

What happens is that warm moist air is drawn into the next soffit vent into the attic space where it can cause damage. Remember that soffit vents are normally air inlets.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"What happens is that warm moist air is drawn into the next soffit vent
into the attic space where it can cause damage. Remember that soffit vents are normally air inlets. "
I guess that's theoretically possible, but has anyone ever seen it lead to an actual problem? Bathroom fans are almost always on for a short time, so any moisture that was introduced should dissipate pretty quickly. I have a hard time believing that in actual practice, this is really an issue. It's done on most of the homes here in NJ that I've seen and hasn't been harmful.

Many people in these groups state their personal opinions in absolutes. Grain of salt.

I've got the fan vented thru the soffit. In cold weather the vented air condenses quickly making it visible. It's quite obvious that it blows away from the house and does not get sucked back into the adjoining vent.
I have a hard time believing that in actual practice, this

Ya know, last year I put two vents in through the roof. They don't cost much, don't take long and don't leak. It's just a bad ida to vent them in the attic period
Is this DIY job, or better for a contractor's?
Did you do it youself?
I have the same problem with my 5 year old house. I don't know how building inspector approved it!
yourname wrote:

So you put 2 holes in your roof and I didn't. Furthermore I vented out thru the soffit not in the attic. I hope your holes in the roof turn out better than your reading comprehension.
Chas Hurst wrote:

between a vented soffit and the attic. I am happy that your insulation isn't soaking wet, but you won't be working on my house anytime soon. Hey, the gas furnace usually vents away from the house too, but you don't put it right next to the window.
Since I merely pointed out that it was not a big deal to put it through the roof, the same way that the soil stack does for the very same bathroom, an is not prone to leaks, I think it is your reading comprehension that is questionable.