Installing a 110 volt 20 amp hot tub spa GFCI questions

It happens that snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com formulated :

ITYM dedicated.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 6:32:35 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

ine from the breaker box to see if that solves the problem. The instruction s manual says designated 20 amp line not a shared 20 amp line. It did ran f ine when I removed the GFI breaker and put in a regular 20 amp breaker. But that is not the proper or Safeway to run the hot tub, so that is why I'm g oing to run the designated 20 amp line to the hot tub to see if all my prob lems will go away. Good luck with yours

It's tripping because of something going on with the SPA heater circuit and whether something else is on the circuit or not isn't your problem. I assume you also disconnected any other load on that circuit. They tell you it needs a dedicated 20A circuit because those 120V spas take just about all of 20A. Really it needs a 240V circuit to work right, ie heat up quickly, be able to run the heater and pump on high, etc. But people like to buy the 120V ones because they think they can just plug them in. When you need a 120V dedicated circuit anyway, might as well make it a 240A, 40A and have a spa that works right.

Reply to
trader_4

Hi i have 110 volt 20 amp hot tub gfi 100 feet long . what guage do it need? 12/2 0r10/2?

Reply to
danaleeborgatti

It would be code with 12 gauge. Using 10 would save just a couple volts of voltage drop. I'd use 12, unless there was reason to think 10 would be of some future use. Up to you.

I hope this is an indoor, bathtub size hot tub, that just uses AC for the pump. IMO, anything larger than that, one that uses AC for heat, 120V is a bad idea. It takes

4X or more time to heat up compared to 240V. You can't run the heat and pump on high at the same time, etc.
Reply to
trader_4