installing 15 amp cabinet lights into a 20 amp circuit

Page 6 of 6
On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:31:43 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@google.com wrote:

That looks like it is supposed to get a plug. Your "legal" answer is to install a receptacle in a cabinet or somewhere out of sight, put a plug on it and plug it in.
Issues are "cords" used as permanent wiring and "cords" concealed in the wall.
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 2:31:47 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@google.com wrot e:

chanical guy so I'm not familiar with electrical terms and I only remember basic stuff from school like P=VI.

y "behind an existing 20amp outlet".

I'd wire it in as you suggested. As long as the connections are inside the box the receptacle is in and the max number of wires, ie fill of the box isn't exceeded, I don't see a problem with it.
More clarification:
The LED panel is definitely rated for a 15amp circuit. Basically, I am not sure if it is ok to run it on a 20amp circuit, and with the wiring method I drew in the diagram.
My questions were: 1) Is it to code? 2) Is it safe? 3) If I wire it to the 20A circuit, does that mean I'm supplying 120V 20A to it? 4) What happens if I supply 20A, when it's only rated to receive up to 15A?
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 4:43:28 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@google.com wrote:

It is OK. The only possible code issue was what Don brought up, ie that kitchens are supposed to have 20A circuits reserved for receptacles for appliances and it's probably a code violation to hook up a dedicated light circuit. But this is a 15W LED and it really doesn't have a material effect on the availability of 20A at the receptacles. And that is a new requirement, I don't think it would apply to circuits installed prior to when the new 20A requirement went into effect.
As long as you wire it in at the box with the receptacle, you're OK. Only other possible issue would be not exceeding the wire fill capacity of the box.

Yes

No, the circuit is rated at 20A max, you're supplying it ~ 125ma, assuming it's really 15W. Whatever it is, it's an LED and insignificant.

On 2/24/2016 11:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@google.com wrote:

But, there are LEGAL issues. I use the term "LEGAL" not because I can point to a statute. You may end up in court if someone is hurt or your house burns down.
Depending on where you live, there are codes and standards with which you must comply. I'm not an electrician and what I'm about to say may not use the correct terms or be precisely correct, but you'll get the gist...
If your fuse/breaker is 20A, EVERYTHING in the walls has to be able to handle that current. In the USA, that typically means 12 gauge wire of a type approved for that purpose.
You can't just "splice" wires in the wall. You have to put the splices in an approved electrical box using approved splicing methods.
Normally, you'd add a new electrical box at the light and run a wire all the way to the existing outlet box and put splices inside each box. You'd have to get an electrical permit and have the work inspected when done.
Depending on where you live, your transgression may never be discovered and enforcement may be non-existent. May not be a problem until you try to sell the house and are required to bring the electrical up to code. But, if anybody ever gets hurt, even after you sell the house, the ambulance-chasers might have a field day assigning guilt.
I have several projects I'd like to do where the cost of doing it right exceeds the perceived benefit. I resist those temptations to do it easy.
One more (hopefully last) clarification:
The diagram I drew is actually incorrect. I was planning on placing the orange splice connections INSIDE the green box, not outside.
Is that code-compliant and/or safe?
I wish I had known someone who does such great work before I put together a few things for our house.
I really enjoy seeing such great "handwork" in this era of mass production of almost everything that touches our lives.