Installed ceiling fan but breaker keeps tripping

I have replaced all the lighting and ceiling fans with no problem, except in my room. I have tried to put in another ceiling fan and there is a spark and the breaker trips. Do I have to call an electrician?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

So where IS the spark?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

You will need to re-open the connection box in the fan and re-examin the connections that you made. It's obvious that you have a short and it may be readily seen by a blackened or melted connector. If nothing is obvious you *will* have to call an electrician. Good luck.
I find that most skilled operators just do the job, and never post to usenet. The fact that the OP posted, suggests the OP isn't very skilled with electricity. I'd suggest a handyman or electrician to come and help.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Your findings are not supported by reality. He was skilled enough to replace several ceiling fans and smart enough to ask about the lone problem he encountered before proceeding,

Learn more about civility

Use a circuit tester to verify that the hot, neutral and ground were not miswired for that fixture. Also check the switch that controls the fan. You shouldn't get a spark at all if you wired it up then turned on the breaker then flipped the switch. The breaker should have just tripped with no excitement. If you are seeing an arc inside the fan, maybe it is defective. Temporarily hook up a normal lamp to check power.
You may also have mixed up the lamp and motor wires.
Yes, please call as soon as possible. Meantime, please leave the breaker off.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On May 9, 2:30 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

breaker off. disconnect the fan. breaker on. if breaker stays on, then the new fan fan is the problem. buy a ($25) digital multimeter and troubleshoot the fan.
buffalobill wrote:

That's only logical. Wiring within fan may be screwed up.
On May 9, 2:30 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

see also: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1 / http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Multimeter