Installation of a Ductless Mini-Split System?

I want to install a ductless mini-split system in my garage/workshop, so I called one of the local HVAC companies to get a quote. I started to tell the girl who answered the phone what I wanted, and she said, "Oh, we don't install ductless mini-split systems." I asked her why, and she said she didn't know.

What I really need is someone to do the charging for me - I can do the physical installation. So how do I find somebody who's got the EPA certification?

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Why don't you call a couple of HVAC companies and locate one that will install them? That way, you'll have someone to complete the job and have a warranty to boot.

Reply to
<kjpro

Check out the new split units made by LG. The only electrical connection to the blower unit is a four wire thermostat cable from the condenser. So simple and works great

Reply to
RBM

I agree, so should be able to find a HVAC company to install the system.

A couple of years ago I replaced one and I messed up by not reading the instructions.

On that system you had to insulate the liquid line because they used it as a metering device so the liquid line would sweat and it was dripping water inside the space. :-(

Reply to
Moe Jones

Yep, they are a little different. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

wrote in news:5dc1c$46c46c8d$9440c41e$19580 @STARBAND.NET:

The liquid line sweating would be more than a little different...

Reply to
Clark

Why? (All they did was move the metering device)

Reply to
<kjpro

Call around, ask friends, I found a friend of a friend who came out, evacuated, pressure tested and checked the temp differential on mine for a hundred bucks. He was happy not to have to do carpentry.

Reply to
yourname

wrote in news:9b82c$46c5bdf0$9440c41e$27900 @STARBAND.NET:

If it&#39;s liquid, it&#39;s not going to be sweating...

Obviously if it is sweating then it&#39;s already expanded to some degree.

Reply to
Clark

No shit...

You&#39;re a genius...

Now, I say again... the mini-splits are a little different. That FACT hasn&#39;t changed from the last time I posted it.

Reply to
<kjpro

wrote in news:a9577$46c5e3b1$9440c41e$7820 @STARBAND.NET:

I&#39;m a genius and I can tell that you suffer from a recto-cranial inversion. How&#39;s that grab ya?

Reply to
Clark

I see, most people do try and change the subject, when they are losing the current one.

Reply to
<kjpro

A hundred dollars???

What instrument did he use to know when to shut the vacuum pump off?

Reply to
<kjpro

wrote in news:20fc7$46c68bbd$9440c41e$14988 @STARBAND.NET:

No son, I didn&#39;t change the subject. I pointed out that your reply exhibited symptoms that conclusively demonstrate that your head is firmly up your ass. Pull it out, wipe the shit out of your eyes and look around a bit. Perhaps you&#39;ll realize that your opinions and statements aren&#39;t that wonderful. Then again, perhaps your aren&#39;t equiped to understand that.

Reply to
Clark

The fact that you&#39;re not competent enough to understand my post, really doesn&#39;t account for anything.

Reply to
<kjpro

wrote in news:d20de$46c71bc9$9440c41e$32431 @STARBAND.NET:

$19580

different...

Son, you aren&#39;t even close to being qualified to assess my competency. You didn&#39;t even know why a liquid line sweating would be impossible and had to ask. I&#39;ve already told you once but here it is again: it isn&#39;t liquid if it&#39;s sweating. It&#39;s already been expanded, e.g. it&#39;s gas.

No run on back to alt.hvac where your head-n-ass syndrome is accepted behavior.

Reply to
Clark

Ok, I&#39;ve waited long enough.

CLARK: You obviously [are NOT a GENIUS}. If you were, you would have listened closely to kjpro and learned.

Mini - splits are not that much different than most refrigeration units except that the moved the metering device from the indoor section to the outdoor section. Both lines are basically an extended evaporator and need to be insulated and insulated seperately. If you were a genius [you stated it as a fact] you would have know this. But it is YOU who has his head firmly planted where the sun don&#39;t shine!

The original poster is too cheap to have an HVAC person come, install and charge the system per Mfg.&#39;s instruction. Most competent HVAC companies can&#39;t survive on labor charges alone, and need to sell products and services. [We have overhead costs that can not be supported by just labor income.] Besides, if the mini-split failes, the O.P. is going to expect the HVAC person to come out, diagnose the problem for free when there wasn&#39;t any profit left for a warranty.

So CLARK, go find some hairy hole and crawl back from where you came.

Reply to
Zyp

wrote in news:5ce74$46c7613c$9440c41e$ snipped-for-privacy@STARBAND.NET:

Yes, you did. What do you hope to gain by telling lies?

Son you still don&#39;t get it do you? If it is sweating it is not a liquid line. Why do you insist on calling it one?

Now pull your head out of your anal orfice and admit that your terminology doesn&#39;t describe the physical system.

Reply to
Clark

"Zyp" wrote in news:Y5adnR54x72PylrbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@championbroadband.com:

If kjpro had a point I&#39;d listen. He chose to insult me so he gets the education. Sorry but you really shouldn&#39;t butt in.

Ahem. Go back and read what I wrote. I already explained that a sweating line was post expansion and was therefore gas. Got it?

Don&#39;t tell me what to do, dumb ass.

Reply to
Clark

You started this whole mess, when you couldn&#39;t comprehend a simple statement. Go back and you&#39;ll see you posted to me first, ASSHOLE!!!!

Reply to
<kjpro