Installation Cost of Nat Gas Generator?

Page 3 of 3
Smarty wrote:

Thanks for the response. Around here people are quoting about $1K per 1K of power or $7000 for a 7K unit. 20-30 years ago I would have done it myself. Having recently become an octogenarian, it is not something I can physically deal with. Best I can do is learn everything I can before I start negotiating a deal.

Unless you're getting a real high quality generator, eg one that runs at 1800 rpm, is quiet, reliable, etc, that price is nuts. You can buy a Generac 12KW for $3000, transer panel included. I've seen similar in Costco for $2500. And sadly that level of product seems to be junk, but it's typical of the prices for the eqpt for home systems. Even if install is $1000, that would still be around $4,000, not $12,000. If you're in the Sandy area, I would NOT be buying anything even remotely related to hurricane right now. Everyone is getting top dollar, even the honest guys. And there are lots of shysters running around. With the internet it's easy today to find the prices on the eqpt.

==snipped=
Will definitely wait until all the Sandy stuff slows down in NJ. Will shoot for April-June. Thanks for your input.

Was just looking at Costco website. They have a Cummins/Onan nat gas, whole house, automatic standby for $5,800, 17KW. At least it's not Generac. Other than that, I don't know how good it is or isn't. Looks like it includes the transfer switch and that you can wire it in ahead of the main panel, instead of using a sub panel, which I like. It also has an LCD information display that you can remote mount inside the house. Looks like it's internet capable. So, even if the rest of it burns up like Generac, I guess you might still be able to play with that part LOL
Cummins/Onan may have smaller units too. If I were buying one, I'd look into it.

Sounds good. I'll check it out. Thanks for providing that information
On 11/18/2012 11:27 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I would look for a good used Onan 15kw with the air cooled four that reminds me of a light aircraft engine. I installed a half dozen of the things years ago and those old air cooled engines were fairly bulletproof. I rarely had a problem with any of them and all of them I installed were used. They had been removed from grocery stores and were sold by a salvage company that specialized in salvaging grocery stores and restaurants. All of the gensets ran on natural gas and could be wired to deliver single or three phase power. I found a picture of one and my faulty memory kept telling me it was a flat four but that was because the air cooled engine reminded me of a light aircraft engine in its stoutness. ^_^
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/15KW-Onan-Standby-Generator-Gaseoline-Propane-N-Gas-120-240-Quiet-No-Reserve-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw /$T2eC16ZHJIQE9qUHuEBuBQpZZV7W2w~~60_57.JPG
http://tinyurl.com/a6gvosq
TDD
Age catches up with people who are lucky to live so long. I'm feeling it today, yesterday helped some friends move house.
Best wishes on your generator install. I wish you great quality, skilled install, and never need the thing.
wrote in message

Thanks for the response. Around here people are quoting about $1K per 1K of power or $7000 for a 7K unit. 20-30 years ago I would have done it myself. Having recently become an octogenarian, it is not something I can physically deal with. Best I can do is learn everything I can before I start negotiating a deal.
On 11/18/2012 7:26 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Back when I was installing Generac systems, I would get the gas company to provide a 2 psi meter at the customer location in place of the existing 6-8" WC(Water Column)meter. The higher pressure allowed for a line as small as 1/2 copper run to the genset and attached to a secondary regulator adjusted for an output of 11" WC pressure. The generator has a demand regulator inside that will only flow when there is manifold vacuum. Of course, at the meter, a regulator set for the standard 6-8" WC pressure fed the rest of the home. ^_^
TDD