Install Wood Floors Before or After Kitch Cabinets?

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:36:59 GMT, "Rick Brandt"

I did it the easier way: I deliberately bought a refrigerator WITHOUT an icemaker.
to guy that mentioned eariler, When the cabs are in how do you change the floors? Take out the cabinets! Most cabinets SHOULD be installed with screws. nails could just pull apart. If you are worried that your cabinet installers and appliance installers are going to scratch your new floors, get someone else!! if they don't care about your floors, do you think they will care if your cabs are installed properly? think of it. If someone doesn't give a sht about your floors, isn't their work also look like they don't give a hoot about your installed cabinets. Choose another contractor! if its cousin joe installing them as a good favor~~ think twice too, would you tell cousin joe that you didn't like his work so he should come back and fix them? What if it was a cash job... do you think they will warranty their work?
my vote, floors then cabs then appliances. Watch TV... no pros do it any other way. cln

Those people on TV are far from pros. I wouldn't let them in my house to sweep.
Steve

water leak can be from anything, a leaking drain from above, a burst water filter under sink, that happened to my dad, theres so many ways for water to get where it shouldnt be.......
saying no icemakers to prevent leaks is like having leaky galvanized pipe in your home and proudly reporting I replaced a 6 foot section. without thought to all the other leaky areas

Yeah I was thinking about that. If you are going to buy a fridge with no icemaker, you might as well buy a dishwasher that uses microwave energy to clean dishes instead of water.

We are about five years into our traditional 3/4" oak tongue and groove kitchen floor and it looks like new. Like the original poster, our kitchen flows from an area that already had hardwood floors, so it was kind of a natural. We have a polyurethane finish. I don't think it looks as good as oil and wax, but is resistant to anything but a flood that is allowed to soak in. Small spots and scratches are easy to repair.

It has the downside of being cold and hard on the feet. Hardwood is much easier to stand on for a long time. Yes, rugs and mats can help. We thought about tile, but we did not have enough sub floor, so would have had to raise the level about a 1/2", which the wife found unacceptable.
-- Doug