install of cabinets after painting

Hello,
I've read that one should wait a week after painting to install cabinets otherwise the cabinets absorb moisture from the curing paint. This potentially causes warpage etc.
My installer says he's never heard of this and is planning on installing cabinets pretty much as soon as paint is dry.
I'd like to get the cabinets up as soon as possible but I don't want to install them too soon after painting if it's going to cause future problems.
Anyone have any experience one way or the other?
thanks in advance ml

cabinets
installing
problems.
I can't speak with any direct knowledge, but I am _very_ skeptical of that claim. A gallon of latex paint will not contain a gallon of water, and I can't imagine that amount of water evaporating while the paint dries causing cabinets to warp.
If you're really worried about it, turn on the AC to lower the humidity.
thanks for the replies/info. Decided to paint after cabinets are installed.
ml

That's probably best. Odds are, if you painted first, you'd have a good amount of touch-up.

Built 2 custom homes...painted (spray) 2 coats drywall primer, then finish coat first, THEN put up cabinets. No "touchup" was required.
Apparently you're better than the average cabinet hanger. My time in new construction left one conclusion -- there will be touch-up needed, so hold off on the finish coat until the cabinets are up.
If it's flat paint it's no big deal, but in most kitchens I've seen the people have some sort of sheen on the walls. With all the lighting that goes into a kitchen, touching up walls with a paint that has a sheen just looks bad.
What is planned for cabinet interior?
On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:38:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:56:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Where did you read that?
Typically, we paint after cabinets are installed.
Ken
One reference for that statement I have on hand is: Finish Carpenter's Manual Jim Tolpin pp. 117
to be fair he probably is referencing painting of the entire interior of the house vice just the kitchen but one would think that if there's any validity to this it's going to be the paint right behind the cabinets that's going to be the primary source of any moisture absorbed.
the claim didn't sound totally out in left field but I like double checking things.
ml

If the cabinets won't stand up to the added humidity of a room-full of paint, how are they going to stand up to being in the kitchen with a stewpot?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

cabinets
installing
problems.
Assuming you are doing two coats of paint, my philosophy is to prime and then do the first coat of paint, then hang cabinets, then the second coat of paint. That way you get the best looking transition from cabinet to wall, and you still get the second coat of paint to go over whatever scuffs happen to the walls when the cabinets go up.
I can't imagine how the tiny amount of residual water in day old paint could cause any problem with the cabinets warping. The only issue I can think of with putting cabinets over fresh paint would be the residual stickiness. But you only worry about that when you are painting windows, you're not worried about your cabinets sticking to the wall for the next time you're going to take them down.
Ken