install motorized retractable awning?

Okay, we are ready to install a MatriX motorized retractable awning. The instructions say mount the brackets minimum 76. I only have one story home and do have 84 to the bottom of my soffit overhang. My question is should I invest in the roof mounts and cover just to gain approx. 12 in height? Has anyone compared looking at this unit in the closed position from a roof mount or under overhang perspective? Also has anyone experienced damage from ice or snow with the roof mounts?
Thanks, TP
My personal opinion is it would look best under the soffit or attached to the facia (Unless you have a gutter)

We have a gutter.