install a glass shelf on shower tile

I have a tile shower that I'd like to add a glass shelf to. (e.g.

I'd like to do the install myself, though I'm very apprehensive about drilling or cutting holes into the tile for fear of doing irreversible damage.

I read in a magazine once that there is a type of caulking compound made for "gluing" fixtures to tile and I would rather give that method a try. (Sorry, don't recall the magazine I read this in.) Has anyone tried caulking compound to install a glass shelf on tile? If so, what were the results? The glue would have to have a strong bond in order to hold shampoo and soap bottles. Can anyone recommend a brand of caulking and website(s) that may be able to offer more details? I'd be happy to hear about any experiences you may have had. Thanks in advance? Cheers!