Insinkerator 444-3 disposer stopped

I have an Insinkerator garbage disposal, model 444-3. It's (guessing)

7-8 years old.

Today it just stopped working. It worked a bunch of times, then quit around dinner.

The reset button on the underside could be pressed, but didn't make that "click" sound or feel. Turning the unit with the large allen wrench was easy - no resistence and the thing actually turned so easily that its momentum would continue to carry it around after I let go.

I let it cool for maybe 30 minutes while eating dinner. It still didn't work. Turned the breaker switch for it off, then back on and this time, the reset under the disposer clicked. But the disposer still won't go; it just makes an electrical hum.

I've called a repair guy but am wondering if there's a solution I've overlooked.

Right now, I have packed the disposer with ice cubes, hoping that they'll accelerate cooling the thing off, in case all it is is overheated. Although it didn't get any kind of unusual or hard workout prior to quitting.

Suggestions?

Reply to
trader-of-some-jacks

I had a 333 that only lasted 3 years, consider yourself lucky.

Taking one of these out and putting a new one in is easy. I went upscale and bought a 555. It took about an hour to install. This was the first time I did one.

Reply to
Dan Espen

It would have cooled off in a half hour no matter what.

I took my insinkerator apart down to little pieces and decided it couldn't be fixed. This was when it didn't spin, not when it spun.

They are easy to take out and put in, however.

mm