Inkjet printers

Page 3 of 3
On 1/28/2011 6:17 PM, Mike Easter wrote:

a-ha! I knew someone would provide some helpful information. Welp, the alcohol route has been done, and done again.
Perhaps next time I'll try ammonia (as that's regularly in the house). The distilled water (rain water in Kubrick's classic Strangelove), err, not so easy. That's a special trip.
Of note, though, when researching, was that alcohol for we colonialists is about 70% pure, whilst in Jolly Old, it's more than 90%. Is that a truism?
ng_reader wrote:
[snip]

Here (east Texas) the Wal-Mart has both 70% and 90% alcohol.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

You can buy it in both strengths, genius. Since you're such a cheapskate I figured you would have scoured the aisle. I bet you asked for a 20% discount at the counter to make up for the dilution.

CVS carries 90% isopropyl alcohol. WalMart doesn't,IIRC,Walgreens doesn't either.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Any one tried Freon?

You're right, it's 91%
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-isopropyl--alcohol-91-first-aid-antiseptic/ID=prod19093-product
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-First-Aid-Antiseptic-91-Isopropyl-Alcohol-16-fl-oz/10532777
On 1/28/2011 3:31 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

I'll never buy an inkjet again. Between the printheads getting clogged, and them following the Gillette business model of basically giving away the printers and gouging forever on the refills, they just aren't worth it. Entry-level lasers are just too cheap.
--
aem sends..

That's true, and 95% of my printing is B&W. I've been eyeballing them but I've had a Brother MFC-210C for a couple of years and it keeps chugging away. I'm also well-stocked on ink for it, so I hope it does not get bricked anytime soon.

Just remember what "entry level" and "cheap" mean. If you want "inexpensive" laser class printers on the long run, you cannot beat an OKIDATA LED printer. Like the Energizer bunny they just keep on going, and going, and going, and----- And you do not have to replace the whole drum assembly when you run out of toner. A roughly $28 tube of toner does the trick, and the drums last a LONG time. Just replaced the drum on my brother's unit I sold him something like 8 years ago that prints all the invoices and workorders in his auto repair shop. The drum was still in excellent condition but the crud in the air (being in an active repair shop) had stiffened up some of the bushings in the drive assembly in the drum, causing paper feed to slow down and fault out.
They cost a bit more to BUY than an entry level Lexmark or HP, but a LOT less to own.

it's cheaper to buy the whole Canon printer from WalMart($35) than to buy a single print cartridge,and you need both color and black cartridges.

I wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner would unclog a printhead?
If you leave your printer on all day,the heads stay uncovered and dry out faster. when the printer is off,the heads are parked and covered by a cap. that's why new ink cartridges don't dry out in the packaging while on the shelf.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

My printer stays on all the time and standyby power is only 3 Watts. I never had problem and it seems it does less self cleaning and ilk lasts longer. I used Epson, HP, Lexmark, Canon and always kept them on.

every time you turn it on it goes through the complete startup routine(prime head) - wasting ink.

I've tried, and it actually killed some of them instead of cleaning them. They are Piezo Electric, and the shock waves MAY have killed them. (they sorta half worked before cleaning - then totally dead)

ng_reader wrote:

"glasex", a spray for cleaning glass surfaces,mirrors, etc. A few millimeters in a saucer, and put the cartr. face down in it. Leave alone for an hour or so, or stop when you see ink starting to leak out in quantity. Wipe clean, and test.