Inkjet printers

Page 2 of 3

== I gave up on the refillable route. I now buy generic ink cartridges at one third the price of regular replacements. Best part is that they are made by the same manufacturers in CHINA. They are essentially the same quality. ==
On 1/28/2011 10:27 AM, Roy wrote:
in

Where do you buy them?
Tony Miklos wrote:

Hi, I get them from eBay. A set of 6 carts. for Canon MP990 costs ~17.00 including postage. Works great. If one prints a lot on inkjet, better invest in a CISS kit.

== I get mine from a small book store that sells computer supplies and general home and office supplies. A travelling salesman calls on him so I don't know all the poop. ==

I think we (TINW) are placating the people who refuse to join the 21st century. They are lazy, they want a printed copy delivered right to their desk without having to press a button. Then, if something is not to their liking, the onus of modifying it and re-transmitting it falls on the sender.
A good response is to send a fax with a black background and white text. When it eats up their precious toner at a high rate they are more willing to switch to email. ;-)
On 1/28/2011 2:21 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

i sent the NAFTA agreement to one guy's fax in the middle of the night.
--
Steve Barker

My cousin works for a financial investment advisor. They are not allowed to email anything with private information on it, such as a client's SS number, contract number and so on. http://www.finra.org /

How is faxing supposed to be safer?
?

Email is not secure and there are ways to intercept emails and scan them for 16 digit number series for credit card info, etc. Fax is a direct line between machines. Of course, the recipient has to be aware of an incoming fax and not leave it sitting on a machine in a public place.
On 1/30/2011 5:09 AM, M.L. wrote:

Because 'that's the way they've always done it', and the new technology scares them.
Fret not- another few years, when they have back-doored their way into National ID Card, it will have PKI on it, and we will all be able to send and receive encrypted documents, just like the government does.
'Real-ID' drivers licenses, and now the 'voluntary' on-line ID Obama is proposing- soon somebody will say 'hey, wouldn't it be convenient if we put both of those on one card?' They couldn't sell the public on the feds issuing everyone ID cards, but piece by piece, they are getting the states and private industry to do it. Once the data is up in the cloud, it really doesn't matter who issued it, or what the sign on the door says.
Twenty years from now, everyone will have something that amounts to National ID (and probably a universal credit card, as well), and we will have paid to get it, and we won't think there is anything strange about it. I hate it, but I'm resigned to it. Such are the things I ponder as I wait in line behind 3 people in a row charging a cup of coffee.
--
aem sends...

I don't know. FINRA makes the rules.
RobertPatrick wrote:

If the sender and recipient used a secure method, it would be much more secure to send something digitally secured and signed including by email than by facsimile image.
I don't see anything at finra's site saying what they do and don't do about transmitting or receiving information securely.
--
Mike Easter

If the email is sent internally using only the company email server, it will never traverse the public Internet. Add some encryption, and that's much, much safer than a hard copy. You could beef it up more by requiring a smart-card or USB dongle with the decryption key, so the user is required to "know something" and "possess something" to be authenticated.
Maybe the SEC has guidelines for sending confidential communications.
Who knows where that piece of paper may end up if misplaced.

USPS Mail is often stolen.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I hope you remembered to invert the text color first! That's a good one though.

Yes, unfortunately.
Once a print head gets clogged I've found no remedy other than to replace it. I've tried alcohol with swabs, even acetone.
You have to decide whether it's cost effective to buy a new head, or a new printer. In your case, if nothing else is wrong with the printer or it's other multi-function features it may be better to buy the print head. I see one on Amazon for $70 that is refurbished by Cannon.
You can help prevent a clogged head by leaving the printer on all the time, so it can do it's self cleaning everyday. Did you regularly turn yours off?
On 1/28/2011 3:31 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

As a follow up, it was a defective cyan ink cart, once replaced, that seemed to fix it. The black, however, still is not *perfect* after soaking the head in isopropal alcohol over night.
At least not perfect on the self-test. But with another black in there it might "fix itself".
As for Dan C, well, if I am writing about print heads why on earth would I want the advice to "chuck it". I think, rather, I'd "chuck" your answer. Silly.

I told you chuck the printhead too. Am I silly?
On 1/28/2011 5:59 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

Well the easiest answer *would be* "get a new microwave oven". That's always the case. But providing some additional inasmuch as providing a thoughtful answer, does not deserve derision. And silly is derision.
Maybe Dan C isn't such a bad person after all, what do you think?
ng_reader wrote:

The experts that I read recommend against alcohol in favor of appropriately diluting ammonia with distilled water.
Alcohol doesn't work well and has disadvantages to the system.
Ammonia works much better and doesn't have those disadvantages, except you have to be more careful about exposing yourself to it wrongly such as breathing and mishandling.
--
Mike Easter