Inground spa light replacement question

I have an inground spa connected to my pool. The light continually trips the GFIC when the light is turned on. I know that the problem is specific to the spa light and not the pool light because the GFIC does not trip with the spa light leads disconnected at the junction box.

The lamp socket in the light is rusty but the interior appears to be dry. The light is a Sta-Rite and is held in the niche by a light wedge with a stainless steel screw through the face ring of the light.

I have obtained a Pentair light that will fit in the niche. The pentair light has what they refer to as a "pilot screw" throught the stainless steel face ring that warnings in the manual say is a part of the light grounding system. The "pilot screw" apparently screws into the Pentair niche to hold the light in the niche. The Sta-Rite niche that is installed in my spa does not have a tab for the "pilot screw" to screw in to. The Pac-Fab light fixture has a ground wire in the cable just like the Sta-Rite light that is currently installed. The niche is properly bonded.

My question is this: Can I safely use the Pentair light in the Sta-Rite nice in my spa using the light wedge not screwing the "pilot screw" into anything on the niche housing?

Reply to
Neal

Can not see it from here. No offense but why not buy an exact replacement?

Sort of like asking if a chevy motor will fit in your ford pickup.

Reply to
SQLit

The issue is whether the bonding screw from the light goes into the metal tab from the forming shell bonding strap where the 8ga bond wire goes. That is probably potted in epoxy. I have a Pentair light in a Hayward niche. All I had to do was use the other screw in the bag with the light. The thread was subtly different.

Reply to
Greg