inground pool water damange

I have a 16 x 32 inground pool with a sand bottom and a vinyl liner. The liner tore and I have lost about 8 thousand gallons of water. The pool person that looked at the damange told me that all the water that went out of the pool would not cause damange to the pipes that lay in the sand bottom. I live in Oregon, we have had more then enough rain this year and the pool is going on day 12 with the water loss. What damange should I be worried about?

------------------------------------- Kris

Reply to
chris9294

The only damage I would be concerned about, is to the side walls of the pool. Their integrity is in some part dependent upon outward pressure from the pool water. Next spring repair or replace the liner

Reply to
RBM

Is it temporarily patched now? If the water didn't cause any damage initially then you are fine.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

How close are you to the water table? If it's above the lowest point of the pool, it will disturb whatever sand and dirt is underneath the liner, and float the liner up (along with pushing said dirt and sand through the tear).

What is stopping you or the pool guy from expediting a repair?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

How exactly does keeping a pool full prevent it from forming ice? Ever see kids ice skating on ponds?

Reply to
trader4

By circulating the water. Moving water doesn't freeze as easily. That's why you can protect a boat by hanging electric water "fans" under it. If the pool level is too low you can not operate the filter system which is what keeps the water moving around.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

)

He never mentioned circulating water. More importantly, as anyone with an inground pool in climates where it gets cold enough for the pool itself to freeze can tell you, circulation is not used to prevent the pool from icing over. You just drain and winterize the pump/filter system as appropriate, leave the pool full and it freezes just like a pond would.

In more temperate areas, eg FL, where they keep pools open year round, they do have freeze protection systems on pools that will kick the pump on when it gets down to freezing to keep the water moving and prevent the pumping eqpt from freezing during brief cold periods. But in Oregon, like here in NJ, I'll bet the practice is to close the pool for the winter, cover it, and then it doesn't matter if it freezes or not.

His real issue with the damaged liner is keeping water in the pool so that he doesn't have structral issues with the ground moving in against an empty pool. Freezing ain't on the list.

Yes, its used on boats, but I've never seen it used on a pool to prevent ice in the pool itself. Have you?

Reply to
trader4