Info needed on old air compressor

Hi, I bought an old air compressor on ebay, to hopefully use when excavating my koi pond. I don't know anything about these things. I've worked on cars/engines a lot but this thing is so old I don't recognize a lot of it. Does anyone know a forum or newsgroup where I could talk to someone who knows about them?
Here are some pictures, http://www.shafferm.com/compressor.html
Thanks, Michael

Holy shit.....
rec.crafts.metalworking peeple know a lot about compressors, but I think this may baffle them too!
Is this an air compressor or some kind of pump? If it's an air compressor you wanted, why not buy a Husky or equiv. from HD, with a long extension cord? The Husky cast iron air compressor (26-30 gal) is a great compressor -- so far.
How much did you pay? Shipping?
Ingersoll is a well-established company, they proly have a manual for it. Hopefully an old-timer tech is still there. :)
--
EA

> Thanks,
Existential Angst wrote:

I think this is few classes bigger machine than the Husky you propose. Probably wants it to run a big air hammer.
Ingersoll-Rand is still in business. They very well may have service literature available.
Looks like an a old Continental 4 cylinder flathead "Red Seal" engine, very common on industrial equipment years ago. From what I can see in your pictures, I'd guess the compressor to be a vane type.

Larry W wrote:

Could it be a Waukesha engine? My dad had a small WWII army surplus bulldozer that had a little four cylinder Waukesha that looked a lot like the one in the pictures.
TDD

It could be. It's been over 30 years since I've seen either one. In my my experience the Continentals were much more common. I do know for certain that IR made some compressors using the Continental, not sure if they ever used Waukesha.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:27:42 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Didn't see the pix - does the distributor come up through the head? If so, most likely a Conti. (almost definitely, in fact) If the distrubutor is on a front cover, likely a Waukesha ICK, side distributor quite possibly a Wakesha F or VRG
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yea, in the pictures, the distributer is defiantly sticking out of the head. It's been about 40 years since I last saw the little dozer that could but I remember what great fun it was to shove various objects around back on the farm with that surprisingly powerful little tractor. I do remember Dad getting a replacement engine from a small railroad maintenance vehicle that bolted right in and it was a Waukesha engine.
TDD
Existential Angst wrote:

Hmmm, Husky? One I had did not last one whole year. Was made in Taiwan.

It was $500, no shipping, local pickup.
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:57:34 -0800 (PST), mshaffer

Just saw the pix. It's a Conti - 99.9999% sure.

*That looks like a classic. I would contact a dealer and see if parts are still available. Judging by the looks of this you may spend more time working on the compressor than on the pond.

sometimes those old 4 bangers are common on other stuff as well, like tractors and other farm equipment.
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:45:42 -0800 (PST), mshaffer

How many run hours on that gauge?! Have you ran the engine?

About 2200. Yea I ran the engine for just a minute or so. It seems to run fine except for the loud exhaust (no muffler).
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:38:01 -0800 (PST), mshaffer

I bet a local muffler shop could help, maybe with pipe, etc. My guess is you can find a muffler. Check that fuel filter for grime, even replace it.
Oh, I like the duct tape on the spark wire boot..

I can't help at all, but that's awesome. Would look great behind an old 50's pickup truck.
nate

Its a well known company, my boiler repair guy has a unit that style from WW 11 and says its unstoppable. A 4 cil? If so 20000 hours is what a motor is easily good for.
Only thing I can figure, it's a gasoline powered gadget. But you knew that. The folks on the metal working group may recognize such a device. I'll copy them in.
Anyone recognize this?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus