Infared space heaters

Has anyone had any experience with these heaters? Last winter our propane bills were sky high. (one for $750) I see a local ad for one that claims it will reduce heating bills by up to 50%. It goes on sale tomorrow for one day only so I need an answer ASAP.

Thanks

Reply to
Patch

How do you suppose it achieves that dramatic reduction in your heating bills? Hint: turning your thermostat waaaaay down, and using a space heater to heat only the room you're in at the time, will reduce your heating bill substantially, no matter what type of space heater you're using. That's because you're heating less of your house, not because the space heater is anything special.

Also please note that the claim "will reduce heating bills by up to 50%" is equivalent to a guarantee that it will not reduce your heating bill by any more than 50% -- in other words, a 1% reduction meets the terms of the claim.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well as noted, it is cheaper to heat a small space than your whole house. You don't need a special heater to do that. It is also true that a infrared heat source can make you feel warmer than the actual temperature, but only if you are being heated by that source.

I would suggest that the claims are technically correct, but the inferences the wording is making is not likely to be found.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And, for these small heaters, that translates to line-of-sight.

Large radiant heat sources (like the floor or overhead systems) work by (eventually) heating walls and other surfaces which then "re-radiate" back into the area providing a more even heating. Small units like these don't have the output to do much of that for anything other than very small rooms, so unless you're physically in sight of it, you will get very little, if any, benefit. Think of standing in a sunlight protected area outside on a cold day, then step into the shade--same thing.

Closest thing to a legal scam outside Vegas... :(

Reply to
dpb

yep -they'll reduce your *heating* bill (oil or gas), but your *electric* bills will go sky high.....

--JD

Reply to
jd

Is it an electric IR heater or gas?

Electric is still more expensive than propane.

If it is a gas IR heater, it probably is not vented. If this is the case, you will have extreme amounts of combustion water in your liveng space.

Al

Reply to
none