"Industry-standard" measurements and advertising

Page 1 of 2
I have a 16-ft. "every-which-way" ladder that I've had for maybe 20 years, so when I saw what was described as a "22'" multifunction ladder (Keller KMT-22) advertised at a considerable discount, I thought it might be worth upgrading. BUT when I looked at the detailed specs. it turns out that it's really only 18-ft 3-in. long: the claimed "22'" is the height one can reach when standing on the highest permitted rung; this, I am told, is the "industry-standard" method of labeling ladders.
I guess that if we didn't have decent regulations, we'd have 3-qt. "gallons" of milk and gasoline, and 40-ft. reels of electrical wire labeled as "50-ft."
I didn't buy the ladder.
Perce

Home Depot and some others recently settled in California for... not pointing out that "2 by 4"s are really something like "1.5 by 3.25", or whatever the real number is.
On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 9:12:46 PM UTC-8, danny burstein wrote:

I wonder what the regs are on Log Splitters. multiplying Pi R squared by the rated pump output comes up considerably less than the claimed tonnage on the one I have checked. And that is without deducting the area of the piston rod.
On 11/05/2015 11:00 AM, Harry K wrote:

The rod end doesn't matter unless there is some back pressure in the return line. Then you'd need to deduct that pressure acting on the annulus.
I don't know anything about log splitters other than those that resemble an ax but I wonder if it's some sort of marketing concept like 'tons per square inch exerted by the face of the wedge'.
On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 7:30:12 PM UTC-8, rbowman wrote:

The rod end does matter. Given a 5" piston with a 1 1/2" rod you loose the pressure on the area covered by the rod.
Harry K
On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 7:30:12 PM UTC-8, rbowman wrote:

Ooops, Head up in a dark, dark place. I got the cylinder backwards and yes, the rod end does not matter.

Most men claim they have 8". Ha!
On 11/03/2015 03:35 AM, Anita Dick wrote:
[snip]

9mm (just a silly little millimeter longer) :-)
--
52 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

A "gallon" is the amount you can use if you drink fast while filling the container.
You can use the 40-foot cord for a light and still see things 50 feet from the receptacle.

--
52 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

I always understood that an extension ladder was measured by the sum of the two lengths separately. A 22 foot ladder would be two 11 foot lengths, but when put together for a long reach would have some overlap that reduced the useable length to something like 18' 3". I suppose the manufacturer of a "multifunction ladder" uses the same criteria (excuse) to compare the ladders and to others. This would be the same as air compressor manufacturers who boast of 5 horsepower with a motor that draws 7 amps. Impossible.
On 11/03/2015 01:37 PM, EXT wrote:
[snip]

I remember seeing a "3HP" electric chain saw at Lowe's that plugs into a standard (120V 15A) outlet.
--
52 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11/3/2015 8:48 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

After using the saw, clean up with the 5 HP shop vac. They use the locked rotor rating that occurs for a half second or so before the breaker trips. While meaningless by itself, if everyone uses the same method it give you some idea for comparison.
On 11/03/2015 08:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I looked at my central A/C compressor, which lists locked rotor current as 82A (240V). It normally uses 17A.
--
51 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11/03/2015 02:37 PM, EXT wrote:

But look here:
> http://www.kellerladder.net/view/PRODUCTS/Stepladders/T10700/T10718
The "reach height" of that ladder is also 22 ft. (the same as that of the ladder I considered buying -- and by the same manufacturer), but it is *not* described as a 22 ft. ladder: it is described as an 18 ft. ladder, which is its *true* height.
And here is an extension ladder from the same manufacturer:
> http://www.kellerladder.net/view/PRODUCTS/Extension-Ladders/3100K/3116K
This is described as a 16 ft. ladder, but even the "reach height" is less than the advertised length of the ladder: only 15 ft.
Perce

Got me irritated that 5 gal. propane refilled tanks have label that says 16 lbs which is 4 gallons.
You have to look carefully at the label and if incorrect, you may have a case.
On 11/4/2015 9:21 AM, Frank wrote:

When I worked for U Haul, we'd put 20 pounds into a 20 pound tank. I asked about the 80% expansion, and they told me that was already figured in.
The U haul near you likely provides good value, also.
Blue Rhino has been on the web, short filling tanks.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/04/2015 08:21 AM, Frank wrote:
[snip]

I have a generator that uses propane. After I had used it (after the tornado we had in May), I took a couple of 20-pound tanks to be refilled (not exchange). According to weight, they now hold 20 pounds each (empty tank weight 16.6, full tank weight 36.6 pounds).
BTW, the amount they charged was similar to a Blue Rhino exchange, but for more propane.
--
51 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11/4/2015 12:21 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I have my tanks refilled at the Ace Hardware for $14.99, and I've watched the meter when they refill them. Usually the meter reads about 4.7 to 4.8 gallons. However, they set it on a scale while refilling, so they go by weight, not gallons. That's still better than a Blue Rhino exchange.

Blue Rhino is charging you for convenience and I am sure they also factor in the number of expired tanks they end up taking. I know that is the only kind I ever swap. ;-) Walmart just opened a new store up the street from me with Blue Rhino swaps for $15 and the cages are full of brand new tanks. I have already swapped 2 that were so out of test my regular guy wouldn't touch them.

my last fill-up that my tank certification will have expired, so I will be forced to exchange it next time. I'll be sure to have them check for the newest tank they have in stock.