"Industry-standard" measurements and advertising

I have a 16-ft. "every-which-way" ladder that I've had for maybe 20 years, so when I saw what was described as a "22'" multifunction ladder (Keller KMT-22) advertised at a considerable discount, I thought it might be worth upgrading. BUT when I looked at the detailed specs. it turns out that it's really only 18-ft 3-in. long: the claimed "22'" is the height one can reach when standing on the highest permitted rung; this, I am told, is the "industry-standard" method of labeling ladders.

I guess that if we didn't have decent regulations, we'd have 3-qt. "gallons" of milk and gasoline, and 40-ft. reels of electrical wire labeled as "50-ft."

I didn't buy the ladder.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Home Depot and some others recently settled in California for... not pointing out that "2 by 4"s are really something like "1.5 by 3.25", or whatever the real number is.

Reply to
danny burstein

Most men claim they have 8". Ha!

Reply to
Anita Dick

A "gallon" is the amount you can use if you drink fast while filling the container.

You can use the 40-foot cord for a light and still see things 50 feet from the receptacle.

Reply to
hah
[snip]

9mm (just a silly little millimeter longer) :-)
Reply to
hah

I always understood that an extension ladder was measured by the sum of the two lengths separately. A 22 foot ladder would be two 11 foot lengths, but when put together for a long reach would have some overlap that reduced the useable length to something like 18' 3". I suppose the manufacturer of a "multifunction ladder" uses the same criteria (excuse) to compare the ladders and to others. This would be the same as air compressor manufacturers who boast of 5 horsepower with a motor that draws 7 amps. Impossible.

Reply to
EXT
[snip]

I remember seeing a "3HP" electric chain saw at Lowe's that plugs into a standard (120V 15A) outlet.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

But look here:

The "reach height" of that ladder is also 22 ft. (the same as that of the ladder I considered buying -- and by the same manufacturer), but it is *not* described as a 22 ft. ladder: it is described as an 18 ft. ladder, which is its *true* height.

And here is an extension ladder from the same manufacturer:

This is described as a 16 ft. ladder, but even the "reach height" is less than the advertised length of the ladder: only 15 ft.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

After using the saw, clean up with the 5 HP shop vac. They use the locked rotor rating that occurs for a half second or so before the breaker trips. While meaningless by itself, if everyone uses the same method it give you some idea for comparison.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Got me irritated that 5 gal. propane refilled tanks have label that says

16 lbs which is 4 gallons.

You have to look carefully at the label and if incorrect, you may have a case.

Reply to
Frank

When I worked for U Haul, we'd put 20 pounds into a 20 pound tank. I asked about the 80% expansion, and they told me that was already figured in.

The U haul near you likely provides good value, also.

Blue Rhino has been on the web, short filling tanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Combination ladder sizes are measured differently than step and extension ladders. From the ANSI standard:

American National Standard for Ladders ? Portable Metal ? Safety Requirements

  1. Definitions and Nomenclature combination ladder. A portable ladder capable of being used either as a stepladder or as a single or extension ladder. It may also be capable of being used as a trestle ladder or a stairwell ladder. Its components may be used as single ladders.

extension ladder. A non-self-supporting portable ladder adjustable in length. It consists of two or more sections traveling in guides or brackets or the equivalent and so arranged as to permit length adjustment.

stepladder. A self-supporting portable ladder, non-adjustable in length, with flat steps and a hinged base.

6.1 Stepladders

6.1.1 Stepladder Size. Stepladders longer than 20 feet shall not be supplied. The size shall be measured along the front edge of the front side rail, including top cap and foot, with a tolerance of ±1/2 inch. Heavyduty (type-I) and extra-heavy-duty (type-IA) ladders shall be 3 to 20 feet; medium-duty (type-II) ladders shall be 3 to 12 feet; and light-duty (type-III) ladders shall be 3 to 6 feet in length (see

8.2.1.1).

6.2.4 Extension-Ladder Size. The size of an extension ladder is designated by the sum of the lengths of one side rail of each section measured along the side rails, excluding any foot or end cap. A tolerance of ±3 inches per section shall be allowed. Extension ladders shall not exceed the sizes specified in Table 1.

Extension ladders shall be marked to indicate both the total length of sections and the maximum extended length or maximum working length.

6.5 Combination Ladders

6.5.1 Combination-Ladder Size. When the combination ladder is used as a self-supporting ladder, the size is designated by the length of the ladder measured along the front edge of the front side rail from the bottom of the foot to the top of the top cap, or to the top step when no top cap is used, with a tolerance of ±1/2 inch, and shall be within the limits shown in Table 4.

When the combination ladder is used as an extension ladder, the maximum extended length shall be at least twice the stepladder length less 3 feet. The stepladder length and the maximum extension-ladder length shall be within ±1/2 inch of the size indicated on the label.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Seems that almost everything but pipe is labled lagrer than what it is. A few months ago I was looking at pole saws to trim some tree limbs. Some of them were listed as to the length of the pole ans some were listed as how far you could reach with the pole. That made some seem about 4 feet longer than the others with the same or even longer poles.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I looked at my central A/C compressor, which lists locked rotor current as 82A (240V). It normally uses 17A.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I have a generator that uses propane. After I had used it (after the tornado we had in May), I took a couple of 20-pound tanks to be refilled (not exchange). According to weight, they now hold 20 pounds each (empty tank weight 16.6, full tank weight 36.6 pounds).

BTW, the amount they charged was similar to a Blue Rhino exchange, but for more propane.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I have my tanks refilled at the Ace Hardware for $14.99, and I've watched the meter when they refill them. Usually the meter reads about

4.7 to 4.8 gallons. However, they set it on a scale while refilling, so they go by weight, not gallons. That's still better than a Blue Rhino exchange.
Reply to
Mr.Emann

They, who? Please speak kindly and loudly about honest people.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Blue Rhino is charging you for convenience and I am sure they also factor in the number of expired tanks they end up taking. I know that is the only kind I ever swap. ;-) Walmart just opened a new store up the street from me with Blue Rhino swaps for $15 and the cages are full of brand new tanks. I have already swapped 2 that were so out of test my regular guy wouldn't touch them.

Reply to
gfretwell

OK. The ladder I looked at was labeled as 18 ft. 3 in., which no doubt complies with the Standard. But that does not, in my opinion excuse calling it, and advertising it as, a 22 ft. ladder. There is no physical way even, let alone a legal way, in which it can be configured as a

22ft.-long ladder.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Still, Blue Rhino tanks are only filled to 4 gallons. I was informed on my last fill-up that my tank certification will have expired, so I will be forced to exchange it next time. I'll be sure to have them check for the newest tank they have in stock.

Reply to
Mr.Emann