Industrial Belt Dressing

Many years ago my dad brought home this belt dressing that was in a peel back cardboard tube and was made of a sticky tar looking stuff. He used it on his riding mower v-belt to keep it fro slipping, and on the a/c belt of the car. Well, the stuff and my dad are long gone and over the years I've been looking for it.
Belt dressing sold at auto stores and on-line is usually that spray stuff that claims to condition the belt and prevent slippage, but I have found it does little for slippage.
Now granted, proper belt tensioning will solve just about any slippage problem but I would still like to find this stuff.
Anyone even seen anything like this?
kpg
It's best to just replace the belt. All any dressing did was to attack the rubber coating and soften it. Belt dressing ruins belts. Just replace it.

Not in 20 years or more. W/ the advent of aerosols, the hazard of applying dressing on belts via other manual methods is so great as to have removed demand for anything else from the shelves other than some commercial liquids.
As someone else already noted, belt dressings are not for rubber belts at all, but were designed for cloth and leather belts (most all wide/flat) which needed them on the flat pulleys/sheaves that were the common drive power source of yore.
The following was originally obtained from Gates but initial link was at another site, and is useful reading...
<http://www.reliableplant.com/archives/article.asp?pagetitle=Playing%20the%20percentages&articleid%8kpg *>