Induction vs. Universal motor

Recently, Sears has been emphasizing that their lighter duty air compressors have universal motors. Is this a good thing? I've read that UMC motors allow extension cord use, provide higher startup torque and are lighter in weight. But, does all that come at the cost of long-term durability vs. an induction type motor?

Reply to
DJA

Universal motors are loud and obnoxious, and the brushes need replacing occasionally. Their one good characteristic is they will run on DC power (got any 120V DC outlets?)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Universal motors run fast, hot, and noisy. They need brushes replaced in time and after enough use the commutators were out. Only typically used on handheld tools where power/weight ratio or cost is the biggest factor. Or if you need to run off DC like old portable welder/generators provided.

I would never buy an air compressor with a universal motor, mainly since whatever it's connected to is almost certain to be junk.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

This is Turtle.

Sear has on their cheap models of air compressors a very cheaply made compressor and the universial motor will probley out last the compressor anyway. I can see their point here in why puy a 30 year running life motor on a 10 year running life compressor. Just put a 10 year motor on a 10 year compressor and have everything matching up to last about 10 years.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Good point Turtle , but it seems like cheap things these days dont even go the warranty period. Or they break 1 month later

Reply to
m Ransley