indoor vs outdoor light fixtures

I would like to replace a couple of outdoor, wall-mounted light fixtures. The ones I have now are cheap jelly-jar types and I would like to put up something a little nicer. When I go to the home improvement store or lighting store, they have both indoor and outdoor wall-mount fixtures - what's the difference? Are the outdoor ones more weatherproof? Would it be a big mistake (i.e. risk electrical problems or fire) to put an indoor one outdoors? I don't need ones with a light sensor or motion detector. -- H

Generally outdoor fixtures that use standard indoor type lamps, are designed to prevent water from getting to the lamp. If a rain drop hits a hot "A" bulb, it will explode
RBM wrote:

Plus, I would think they are designed to resist corrosion.

Yeah, they use an extra coat of paintt.

So far so good.

The indoor ones are for use indoors and the outdoor ones are for use outdoors.

Yep.
Yep.

In typed:

Yes. Go to the store & look at them!
news.eternal-september.org wrote:

The indoor ones probably are not UL rated for outdoor use. Your insurance man would not be happy. Under a porch roof or something, it might not make much real-world difference, but the outdoor rated ones do hold up to the weather and temp swings better. Less corroded sockets, brass looking nasty, etc. I don't mind paying a few bucks more for outdoor-rated. I do mind the piss-poor selection and ugly styles currently carried by the Borg, for outdoor or indoor apps. Guess I'm gonna have to go to a boutique lighting store and bend over, or order on line, or maybe take a stab at rebuilding what I have.
-- aem sends...
typed:

Yea but pretty much anything is upscale compared to the jelly jars.
Sometimes you can get lucky at the Borg or even WalMart with the 2 packs of lights as long as you're not trying to put it in Brentwood or Tiger's woods ;-)

Yeah that is my issue - have not found an outdoor one that I like, selection of indoor units is better. I was hoping I'd get a bunch of responses saying "nah don't worry about it, I did it 20 years ago and it's been fine" but no such luck. cheers, -- H
In typed:

Most any sensible, logical and cooperative person as you appear to be. People mostly bitch about problems on groups; you don't often see the good things that go on.
Nice to hear; best of luck, safety & speed,
Twayne

I put an inside light on a porch ceiling. Protected location where it stayed dry. It corroded and had to be replaced after a few years.