Indoor FM antenna

Page 2 of 2
(Greg) wrote:

All this reminds me of an ordeal I went through some years ago when I installed a weathervane on our chimney. HOA bylaws and covenants did not address this issue, but I received several threatening letters from the board about removing it. Funny thing about it was that I was on the board! I resigned. Received several more letters. The HOA documents also did not address the use of weathervanes or flagpoles, but it did address the use of television antennas, even though our neighborhood was completely cabled. Television antennas were allowed as long as they stood no higher than 15 feet above the roof, and were no larger than 7 x 7 feet. Because of cable, no one had an antenna. I wrote one letter back in response to all of their threats... I offered to remove the weathervane and replace it with a television antenna of maximum size and mounting height allowed by the HOA documents. I quickly received a response that the weathervane could stay!
--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Rich wrote:

Thin wires, right? Attaches right to two screws on the radio?
Good, that's a 300ohm antenna. It might work fine. But it's in the wrong place. Those little devices that adapter CABLE (F connectors) to screw jacks for old TVs are tranformers called "Baluns". (Balance to UNbalanced line). They cost around $3.
Get 2.
Run about any antenna up high (attic, whatever). Attach it to a balun. Run a coax (tv cable) down to the radio, attach the other balun and into the radio. Basically, the coax it being a low noise extension cord for you.
Now, I'm not sure how to handle SHARING 1 antenna with multiple devices.
And yeah, I made sure to not buy a house with a HOA. Just seen too much insanity and selective enforcement with that. Like a 4 house little stub street where the 4 residents decided they had a great view of the fireworks and parked to block off the 30' long streetlet, setup street BBQ, coolers and tables and had a street party. HOA guy went NUTS. Threatened to call the police on my friend. Friend said, "Oh, just go over there and talk to that guy who's chatting with my mom; he's the chief."
Heh.
No, I maintain nice with my neighbors and we all get along pretty well so far. I'm putting up a 2M antenna off of a tree on my neighbor's property with his, well - if not blessing then agreement.