Indoor dryer vent "heaters"?

Hello,

I recently had to replace my dryer vent hose and when at Home Depot saw that they sell attachments that you can use to vent the dryer indoors, providing heat for the room. Seems like a cool idea especially since our washer/dryer are in a room that is very difficult to heat, except I wonder about the humidity that also comes out with the air. Do these things steam up the room while heating it?

Thanks, Nate

Reply to
Nate C.

well, of course. also they throw lint into the air. it's just a bad idea. i hope you got smooth aluminum. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

washer/dryer

I had one in my previous home, which had an electric dryer. You can put a women's nylon stocking over the outlet and catch the lint. It worked pretty well. If you don't have a humidifier, the extra humidity is welcome, too. Just make sure there is ventilation in the laundry room, and it doesn't get too damp.

I now have a gas dryer, which, of course, you don't want to vent inside.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Yea, they catch some of it. Don't bother.

BTW most of the "dryer vent" stuff they sell at all the Big Box stores is real junk and is borderline unsafe.

The best thing you can use is solid metal, not corrugated and certainly not plastic.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Actually these are specially made to catch the lint before blowing air into the room.

Reply to
Nate C.

I actually tied some cheese cloth onto the back of the dryer before re-attaching the new tube and there was literally water dripping from the walls after a cycle. I was afraid to rot the room from the inside out so I went with the outdoor vent for now. I'm just wondering if any of these vents specifically made for the indoors have a humidity trap as well as a lint trap.

Reply to
Nate C.

The Ryobi vacuum bag for the BT3000 tablesaw works great for the dryer exhaust but ironically not for the tablesaw itself. Dry the load in half the time and put out a lot of steam!!! And no my vent is not clogged. About three years now and no fire or anything dangerous as other people predicated except for the steam that fogs up the walls and mirrors - great during winters. The only time I think that it could catch on fire is that there is no load in the dryer and is on full blast. Do clean the bag once in a while. YMMV

Reply to
Fred

Not that I know of. You might condense 12 pounds of water with 12K Btu of coolth, which would raise the temp of 500 pounds of water 24 F. You might put 114 2-liter soda bottles in 3 vertical stacks of 38 in a plastic 55 gallon drum and run the dryer vent into a hole near the bottom, with a smaller and lower hole to let the water drain out.

Or hang up the clothes to dry, for a slower release of moisture that natural air leaks can handle with no condensation indoors.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

We use the tip of an old pantyhose leg over the outlet. It works fine but requires frequent cleaning.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

"Nate C." <

The humidity trap is your house. The concept is good, but the execution is poor. Too much moisture in some areas, damp clothes smell, and lint, even with the best of filters. Lint can also end up in the heater blower if it is in the same room as the vent.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Simple physics :-)

Reply to
nicksanspam

Thats right Nick another irrelevant post on what to do with all those old soda bottles, turn your basement into a junk yard. Do you even live in a real house. Does OP have a humidity issue? Why not tell him to flood the basement as you have previously recommended. Or are soda bottles your new choise of debris.

Reply to
m Ransley

Nice decorating tip. Luckily, Martha's out of the slammer and can take over from you now.

You live in an odd world. The guy is posing a question about possibly getting an ancillary benefit from the lost heat, and you want to take over his basement (hanging clothes up to dry takes up a lot of room) and suck major time out of someone's life. Then again, since you have so much time on your hands, that probably never occurred to you.

I am really glad that you weren't the guy with the calculator when the call came in "Houston, we have a problem." I could just imagine your response..."Okay, now if all three of you stick your asses out the window and fart in unison at a rate of 32.4 farts per minute you should be able to decrease your angular rotation enough for safe rentry."

RicodJour

An odd world you live in. You're the number king, right? Master of physics? So please explain how you managed to fit over 60 gallons in a

55 gallon drum. And while you're at it, please show how you managed to achieve perfect tiling of cylindrical objects. Is that void space somehow shifted into the dimension you inhabit? It's an earth-shattering breakthrough! I smell a Nobel Prize!

If a high school student made such stupid assumptions and used "calculations" to back them up, and screwed up the calculations, then bragged about their tight grasp of physics....well, they're just a kid with a lot of learning to do. What's your excuse?

RicodJour

I disagree. You have my numbers. Where are your numbers?

What's your estimate of the laminar film condensation heat transfer rate of 4" diameter x 12" tall bottles, large compared to the film thickness?

I'm afraid you know little about physics, so you have no numbers, just a disagreeable attitude. Can you lose it and learn more?

Miracles happen.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Nicky I don need no stinkin numbers , pop bottles are trash just like your idea

Reply to
m Ransley

Nick if you comprehended the OPs post you would realise he does not want more humidity.

Reply to
m Ransley

That's the reason for the condensing humidity trap :-)

Consider getting a clue or hiding your ignorance.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

washer/dryer

First...hope you got a metal hose, since the vinyl ones are now illegal to use, and for good reason.

Second, those dryer boxes simply suck.

Reply to
steve