Independent carpet installers ?

Do they exist? I'm trying to find one to install some wall to wall carpeting that I am going to buy from a wholesale club. Thanks, (I'm in NY if you know of one.)
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (raymondj) wrote:

They do exist, but you might want to talk with the installer before you go out & buy carpet. It turned out our installer got us carpet for a rental unit that was very close to what we'd picked out elsewhere and we then got a better deal. The deal he gave us on superior padding was excellent.
The 'Want Ads' in neighborhood newspapers generally will have ads placed by carpet and lino installers. I think they refer to theselves as 'Floor Mechanics' these days. Try to get a couple of references from people for whom they installed carpet a year or so ago. We had our entire 1500 Sq. Ft. main floor (minus the kitchen and two bathrooms) recarpeted by someone we had known for a while thru another venu. It all rippled after a few months and the installer wasn't interested in correcting the problem. We had to get another carpet guy to come in and restretch the carpet. This was not expensive, but it was a lot of work removing all the furniture so the carpet could be restretched. Haven't laid eyes on the original installer since and hope I never do. Des

I don't know about NY, but I've never found a skilled workman in the want ads and very few in the Yellow Pages. The people who knew what they were about and didn't steal things on site were either referred b y a friend or members of the local union. Unless you are philosophically opposed to unions, check your YP under "Labor Union." zemedelec
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:20:24 -0800, raymondj wrote:

Just call any carpet retailer and ask for an installer. They usually sub-contract to the retail stores.

That's just the problem, once I say I have my own carpet they don't want to bother.
On 10 Jan 2004 09:29:00 -0800, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (raymondj) wrote:

So don't mention it. Just ask if they employ their own installers, or contract out. If the latter, say would like to check out *those* businesses before deciding on carpet. Make it sound as if you've gotten this information from other suppliers. :-)