increase wattage of dimmer switch

I have 6 halogen spots in the bathroom (6 x 50watts = 300 watts) which I would like operated via a pull light switch dimmer. Unfortunately the highest rated pull switch dimmer I can find is 300watts which apparently is not enough to run 300watts of halogen output.

Could I solve this by problem by using the 300watt dimmer with some other electrical device ?

Reply to
peter.james

Number one. Are those halogen lamps 120V lamps or are they run off a transformer?

Next I suggest checking out

I don't know if they have what you want, I have no idea what a "pull light switch dimmer" is.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

electrical supply houses carry bigger wattage dimnmers, up to 1500 watts or so.

used in ballrooms and other industrial like spaces with lots of power hungry lamps.

have large front metal plate for heat disappation, you have likely seen them and didnt know what they are.

Reply to
hallerb

I googled for "pull switch dimmer". Interesting. I've never seen one of _those_ before.

For example:

Most of the web sites are clearly UK. They may not be available in North America at all.

I've just about gotten rid of the last ceiling fixture pull chain. I'm not about to go back ;-)

[This is the type we're partial to:

Or the equivalent Eagle that doesn't have the explicit toggle switch, it's just the "low end" of the slider travel.]

I suspect the relatively low power of these devices is what the OP is stuck with. There's no way to "boost" the output capacity of a dimmer.

_Theoretically_, a 300W dimmer should work fine with 300w worth of bulbs, regardless of whether they're incandescent or QH. But you may be looking at a somewhat shortened lifetime. I don't like pull cord type, I'd use a regular wall switch type, and those are usually rated 600W and up.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Interesting...I assume there's two cords coming out of it, or maybe a loop of cord like you'd find on some kinds of window blinds.

I suppose using one of those ceiling mounted dimmers is easier than installing a "old work" wall box and pulling a piece of 3 conductor cable to enable using a contemporary dimmer. We are in the 21st century now, 'yknow.

OTOH if he's really worried about the rating, how about just mounting a regular 600 watt knob operated dimmer in a ceiling box and replacing the knob with an appropriate length of dowel hanging down, with a homemade U-joint where it joins the dimmer shaft so it can get pushed around and not break off. Could be good for chits and giggles, huh?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

According to Jeff Wisnia :

Not necessarily. Could be a "reset when it hits full extension" and spring retract.

What makes you think this device is _isn't_ contemporary?

Just because it doesn't look like stuff you're familiar with doesn't mean it's horse-and-buggy era.

There are plenty of things that have originated in Europe (or Canada for that matter) that are only recently (or not yet) arrived in the US.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Thanks. I have seen them before, but I did not know the name. You are right about them being available in the UK and Ireland.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hey, when I was a kid we mostly had toilets with overhead tanks and a "pull chain" to flush them. I was referring to the "string pulling" part of the setup, not the electronic dimmer technology.

I can accept using pull chain sockets to save the cost of a bit more wiring and a wall switch for infrequently used lights, like in a storage closet, but in a BATHROOM, nah!

I wish I could think of something funny to respond to that with...

Well, maybe this limerick which came to me from England would do....

When the clients are more than a few, There's a savvy old madam named Drew. Who'll establish a line, By displaying a sign, That informs all arrivals: FUCK QUEUE.

Jeff (Who can still hear his mother asking, did you pull the chain?)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia