Increase water pressure in old neighbor hood home

Keep that hobby horse rocking now!!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I too have had my goes with galvanised. Unless the pipe itself is rotted there is no problem EXCEPT for undoing one my dad put together. His method of tightening a joint was "as tight as it will go plus half a turn". My 24" pipe wrench got lots of use :).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

ahh the copper thieves will be disappointed.

my dad owned rentals in phoenix, after having copper lines repeatedly stolen he went to CPVC, no more missing lines.....

one time someone ripped all the wiring out of the house.

after that he started selling off his rentals.

Reply to
hallerb

Bet none of the joints he cranked on leaked (-: It's easier to undertighten galvanized than to overtighten it. Seems whenever I did work with a helper who hadn't done galvanized they were leery of overtightening, until I put another turn or two on it. Then they quickly got the idea. It's really the easiest type of plumbing once you get the hang of it.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

PEX is far easier snakes easily around obstructions:)

Reply to
hallerb

Right. Should have said "rigid, and not including PVC" (-: I'll look at PEX first if I have to do any supply plumbing around here. Everybody seems to talk it up. Well, I just did a google search for PEX leaks. Learned a bit about it. Looks like it's not all it's cracked up to be. Expands too much, needs too many tie-downs, gets all snaky looking, leaks, rodents can bite right through it, etc, etc. And nobody knows how long it will last. Don't think I would ever use it to replace existing piping runs. Might be useful for some applications, but not any house I ever lived in. If I wanted to run water to my detached garage it would work. But I already have a garden hose for that. If I have to open walls to clamp down PEX it would be just as easy for me to use galvanized. No need to snake any piping here. The more I read about copper, PEX, and the rest, the more I like galvanized steel pipe. But maybe I'm crazy.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

obviously you havent actually used PEX.

and galvanized would be my dead last choice for water lines, as it rusts inside it can add excess iron and taste to your drinking water..

One big advantage to PEX is homeruns with no Ts etc in walls....fewer joints fewer leak points:)

Good luck trying to resell a home with galvanized, a one foot long piece in a home I sold caused grief...

PEX expands if frozen and doesnt tend to split so a frozen line isnt a replumb job.........

Reply to
hallerb