Inconsistent freezer

I have an upright Whirlpool freezer. I heard a terrible noise coming from it one day and checked it and it was not freezing. I did nothing (after cleaning out the contents) for about a month and then called a repairman. He turned it on and it cooled perfectly for about 3 weeks and then did the same thing. When I check it the lower back part of the inside of the freezer is frozen with ice but it will eventually thaw. Only after it has turned off and thawed will it work again for about 3 weeks and then the same thing again. Could this be the thermastat?

Reply to
sharonw

It sounds like the defrost cycle timer (if it's an older freezer) or the defrost sensors and/or circuitry (if it's a newer model) are faulty.

On an older model, the defrost timer is mechanical. If it is not functioning properly, either the coils will pack with ice and will stop cooling as a result, or the defrost cycle is stuck on "ON".

If it's a newer model, the same could be occurring either with the sensors or the circuitry.

Get the repairman back and ask him to check the defrost timer (if older) or circuitry (if newer).

Good luck. H

H is probably right but I would add two things. First, make sure the seal around the door is good. Second, if it's like that in 2 weeks, get out a hair dryer and defrost it. That''ll work until the repair guy gets there.

Reply to
Pat