Inclinometer at Home Depot or Lowes?

Page 1 of 2
Either the people at Home Depot are buffoons or I didn't ask the right question. I searched their website and found squat. Do they have an inclinometer? I just need a $5 one to line up my satellite dish. Beyond that it will sit in a drawer.
Edward wrote:

Why not make one with a protractor, a weight, and a bit of string?
Chris

I have to be pretty accurate. Hehe... good idea though.
Edward wrote:

The Egyptians built the freakin' PYRAMIDS with a protractor and a string !
And you don't need to be precise for a satellite dish. Once you find the satellite, you watch the on-screen measurements as you manipulate the dish to achieve maximum indicated signal strength.

I've turned up the volume on the TV and heard the signal from out the back door. When it peaks, tighten the dish up.
A level, compass... and a few minutes.
This dish had a gauge stamped on the side that gave approximate degree of adjustment.
A good ear and wrench and it is done.
-- Oren

That usually doesn't work very well - the sound level is not very dependent on signal strength. Better to set the satellite receiver to the signal strength setup page, and have someone watch the TV and yell out the numbers.
We used a compass and protractor, and got the signal to register, and from then on tweaked the dish to maximize the signal indicator.
[Parked a small TV and the receiver inside the bathroom window nearest to the dish for adjustment. After the dish was aligned, then we laid the wires for the TV. But you could do the same thing other ways. Eg: CB/FRS radios. Hand signals. Smoke signals ;-)]
Note that Radio Shack (aka The Source) had/may still have a satellite signal strength meter which you can simply plug into the back of the dish and tune that way.
Around $60 CDN I heard. They don't allow returns...
[They should rent the things.]
--
Chris Lewis,

Edward wrote:

$10.00 at Sears. The same price I paid for mine about 20 years ago. Same design
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0035871083.1178760824@@@@&BV_EngineIDdjaddklimilgdcefecemldffidfjm.0&vertical=SEARS&sid=I0093600100004900085&pid939840000
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Edward wrote:

Just encase you can get that whole link, do a search for "Universal Protractor"
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Is what you're looking for something like this? Or close? Lowe's, HD, Ace, HF, etc.
http://roofgenius.com/roofangle.htm
Steve
Steve B wrote:

HD has them in the tools section near the hammers and wrecking bars. I use mine to set up driveshafts.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

For future reference, there is little relationship between what is on HD's website and what is in their stores. Same with Lowe's. It's quite amazing.
OTOH, Radio Shack, for all its faults, definitely has the same set of items (if it says it is usually in stock) and allows you to check a particular store. It runs a day behind, and there is always the possibility someone could buy it before you get there, but they give you a list of stores that have it. I wonder why those programmers are so much better than Hd's.
<<I wonder why those programmers are so much better than Hd's. >>
It's usually the fault of the managers who tell the programmers what to do. Obviously, Radio Shack management is better than HD's, which is why they're so much more successful. :-)

Built a network once. Department Heads were left out of the process.
Good thing the CEO listened to IT staff; plus using the money wisely. -- Oren

The Home Depot website is almost worthless. They only list a small fraction of what is in the stores. (And they list a bunch of stuff that is online only, which is even more annoying!).

I just made sure the mount was level, using a level, and then used a cheap protractor to get the dish angle right. That got it close enough to get a decent signal, which could then be tweaked to perfection.
This really pissed off the friend who was helping me, as he had taken a couple hours when he installed his. I just set mine to the right angle on the protractor, set the azimuth using a cheap compass--and I had a signal. Total aiming time--about 3 minutes. :-)
Later, I cemented my reputation as being a superstar of satellite dish aiming when we were helping a friend see if the friend could get DirectTV. There was some uncertainty as to whether trees blocked the satellite, so we took a receiver and dish over to his place, to do a test. After they futzed around for 30 minutes, trying to get some kind of temporary mount to work, I said "screw that...give it to me" and picked up the dish, and simply held it in my hands, trying to point toward where the satellite should be--and we got a good signal, which I was able to hold for about 20 seconds, giving them plenty of time to see that he did indeed have a good view of the satellite.
(I understand it is harder now, because of the multi-satellite dishes, which need to be oriented much more precisely. Might be worth letting the pros do it...with an appropriate threat to switch to a different satellite provider or to cable, you can probably get them to do it for free to keep you as a customer).
--
--Tim Smith

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber4214
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

You could make one, but if you have a Harbor Freight in your area,
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber4214

What's wrong with a compass, level and a protacter? Or a beer bottle and a ruler?

Bullshit! Once you own one, if you build much at all, or know anything about math, they come in handy lots of times. You'll be amazed at how many times you use it, and how it can save you time. Unless, of course, you're one of the twenty-something public educated kids who can't make change for a twenty. They can use it for a paper weight or a neat little toy that spins when you shake it...................... kewl, dude, look at this .................
Steve

Just buy a plastic protractor and tape it to a level. Then get a camping compass to get the right direction.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Sigh. The inclination degrees are stamped on the dish clamp. Satellite dishes COME with an itty-bitty compass.
All you "need" is a level for getting the mast perpendicular to the ground. Damn kits may even come with that!
The biggest mistake the home installer makes is believing a satellite dish is like a TV antenna and needs to be mounted on the top of a two-story chimney. The difference between 25,000 miles and 25,000 miles minus thirty-five feet is zip! If you can point the dish, unobstructed, at the southern sky, you're golden.
Mount the sucker on the wall, where you can reach it! If not for alignment, then think snow removal.
Geeze.