Incandescent that avoids upcoming ban

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

and while we're at it (vis a vis the original subject of incandescent lights vs. CFs)... just who are these Dutch Masters whose calibrated retinas are so acutely attuned to color temperature and chromatic rendition?
I got in early. Sometime year before last, or possibly early last year, Menards had gigantic palettes of CFs for sale at less than $1 bulb, or something like that, for 2-packs of Sylvania Soft White 13 watt "mini-60's".
Worsk great. I relamped almost the entire house and bought enough extra tubes to relamp it 1.5 times more. I have several in vented base-up track fixtures, and a few in unvented base-up globes and haven't had any problems. None have died, and my electric bill has dropped measurably and significantly.
And, amazingly, i can still tell what color my stuff is! I very much don't notice any "difference" in "color rendition" between natural sunlight and my CFs, and i've tried to ... well, notice.
Puerile whinging, i say...
Of course, the Damoclean sword looms menacing for the day that one burns out, when i shall throw myself bodily in the street, shrieking in agony from Murcury Possoming [sic] and beg my neighbors to euthanize me before the EPA plucks my parrot and drowns me in tank of HgX and locks me away in Camp X-ray for environmental terrism [sic].
oh wait. i'll just put it in a little plastic grocery bag until it's convenient for me to drop it off at some recycling center somewhere. Neverminds...
CF's rule. Esp. when one realizes that a very very modest investment in CF's in this country frees up generating capacity equivalent to a few gigawatts of nuclear (or coal, for that matter) power plants.
Should be a Know Brainer for the anti-Coal people, the Anti-Nuke people, the Anti-Natural Gas Peaker Plant people and the Anti-building High Tension Distribution Power Lines IN MY BACK YARD IN MY FORMERLY A CORNFIELD SUBDEVELOPMENT people.
Oh, ya. Someone said on the radio at lunch that it would be harder to see the ZOG watermark on my $1000 bills that I like to count before i go to walmart. I Forgot. I don't have the Dutch Master's eye.
BTW, CF's rule. Old school wolfram tubes drool.
.max
--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
On May 4, 12:20 am, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

HDs 60$ Glacier bay 1.6 works just fine, I just put in 12.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 3, 10:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Mine, a "Jake" model from Toto, works better than any of the old ones I ever had.
As for CFLs, I put them in years ago. After one day of use, I don't even notice the difference. Haven't tried the newer models yet as only 1 of the old ones needed replacing. The only drawback I have seen is in the outside lights - the warm up period before they come up to full power.
Harry K
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
says...

I have two that need three flushes or they plug first.

Of course you say that, without facts. It doesn't fit your narrow view of the world.
--
Keith

Add pictures here
✖

Facts such as existence of plenty of 1.6 gallon/flush toilets that work as well as toilets ever did? I have seen plenty of those. Maybe you need some new toilets!
Meanwhile, even the lousy ones of the 1.6 GPF toilets still only need one flush for a #1 load.
✖

To retain a mote of on-topic-ness, I replaced the globe lights in my bathroom with CFLs of unknown warmth several years ago. The fact that they do not go full bright right away is a PLUS, IMO; I don't get blinded as badly at night when I turn them on...
For good 1.6 gpf toilets, see the reviews at http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm . I bought 2 Toto Drakes (then, eventually, a third one) based on his recommendations. I have not had to double-flush even once in 5+ years! They're reasonably quiet, too.
Add pictures here
✖
says...

Those "facts" are certainly *NOT* in existence.

Perhaps I should tell my landlord.

And three or four (and a plunger) for anything else.
--
Keith

Add pictures here
✖

really, this tells us a lot more about you (than we'd care to know!) than the toilet...
--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
✖
I remember no such thing. The hole in the ozone has been opening and closing for centuries. And no refrigerant will EVER cool as well as R-12. I also have a supply of that, and add to my systems as needed.
S. Barker

Add pictures here
✖
S. Barker wrote:

Propane/isobutane has identical properties, even being mineral oil miscible, mix it 70/30, I believe. It's not like mineral oil filled R12 is not flammable. That and some of the "new" refrigerants are part hydrocarbon.
If you want to toy with the mix a bit, you can beat R12 by 10 - 20%.
Jeff

Add pictures here
✖

opening for centuries? and tell me how could we see it 100 years ago,
Add pictures here
✖

Its funny you claim that the poster doesn't care about waste. You see, you can toss a regular lightbulb into the trash since it is basically safe. But the new CF bulbs are hazardous materials that have to be handled by special licensed contractors. The contents of those bulbs can kill you. Talk about waste...
-john-
John A. Weeks III           612-720-2854             snipped-for-privacy@johnweeks.com
✖
III wrote:

In many areas of the USA, households are still allowed to dump CFLs into regular trash.
✖
"allowed".?!?!? Hell, i'll throw them whereever i want. And that's usually in the trash can after they've been knocked off their socket by some flying object or swing board.

✖
S. Barker wrote:

Very good. I guess you throw away used batteries into the trash can as well? Your grand kids will appreciate it.
Add pictures here
✖
where else would you put a battery? Unless you're talking about a car battery, THEY go in the pile on the back forty until the price of lead comes back up.

✖
I agree. Hell we used to play with big gobs of mercury in science class. We're still here.

✖

Mad as a hatter, tho.

Add pictures here
✖
In article

So, how does tuna in cans become infested? Sea flies? That is the problem with people who have knee-jerk responses to everything. They knee-jerk without thinking, and they end up looking dumb, which is probably where they started in the first place.
-john-
John A. Weeks III           612-720-2854             snipped-for-privacy@johnweeks.com
✖

who said canned tuna. HD has a Nine year warranty on cfls, im not throwin my 2$ bulbs away, im goin back for freebies when I need them and let them dispose of them, as they do for free with batteries. So beath well today, knowing your coal plant is giving you Mercury.
Add pictures here
✖