Incandescent that avoids upcoming ban

Page 1 of 3
There is now a retail-available incandescent that has enough energy efficiency to get around the upcoming 2012-2014 ban until 2020.
Thanks to Paul M. Eldridge for mentioning this in article
"candlelight thread" on April 19th!
These are truly incandescent lamps producing about 90-91% as much light for 70% as much electricity, in comparison to the highest light output grades of standard incandescents. Light output is fully on par with soft white ones that have life expectancy extended to 1500 hours. These improved incandescents have rated life expectancy of 3,000 hours.
They look like soft white incandescents, both while off and while on. They actually are incandescent, specifically a variation of the halogen lamp known as "HIR". They gain energy efficiency by using an infrared-reflecting coating on the inner surface of the inner halogen capsule.
Despite being halogen, they are rated to be fully dimmable. Just don't expect dimming to increase their life as much as dimming increases life of non-halogen incandescents, since halogens have an extra aging mechanism that is slowed to a lesser extent by dimming (filament end notching).
Their color, spectrum and color rendering properties are incandescent-like. The color is more greenish than conventional incandescent to an extent so small that I usually cannot see this, even side-by-side against a conventional incandescent while looking for this. The color difference is of a scale that I have seen between different conventional incandescents of same color temperature but different filament winding styles and maybe different tungsten grades. The HIR lamps definitely *do not* have anywhere near even halfway a "gas mantle" extent of being greenish.
I just got some at Home Depot a couple hours ago. They are Philips Halogena "energy saver".
The 70 watt one produces 1600 lumens (22.9 lumens/watt) and the 40 watt one produces 800 lumens (20 lumens/watt).
Efficiency is improved over conventional incandescent, but is still only around 35-40% of that of better compact fluorescents.
Since these are halogen lamps, they should have at least some regular use with being on long enough to fully warm up to keep the "halogen cycle" chemical process in the inner capsule working properly (as opposed to being used only briefly). Because of this and their cost, I would rather not use these in closet lights, refrigerator lights and motion sensor lights - those applications are where conventional incandescent is plenty good.
Where I would recommend these: Other locations where compact fluorescents are not acceptable due to warmup time, performance with dimmers, temperature often being far from ideal for CFL, or in fixtures where CFLs equal to 100 watt incandescent tend to overheat. These should also be good where there is a critical color or color rendering requirement that no CFL can meet (whether in fact or by fiat or in someone's head), or for those who have big problems with disposable built-in electronic ballasts or with lightbulbs having even 3 milligrams of mercury.
Since these cost $5 per 2-pack and most ordinary spiral CFLs now cost no more and also last longer and have at least twice the energy efficiency of these improved incandescents, I still say use CFL where you can.
On Apr 27, 7:49�pm, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

one can buy cases of regular lamps, before the ban becomes effective....
stored unused they should last forever
What's this bs about a ban? I've not kept up with the messages.

A recently enacted piece of USA Federal legislation bans manufacture, sale and importation of certain incandescent lamps, starting in 2012.
"General purpose" incandescent lamps of a certain range of light output and failing to achieve some specific standard of energy efficiency will be banned in 2012. This will include 100 and 75 watt "regular" incandescents. In 2014, this will expand to include 60 and 40 watt "regular" incandescents that fail to meet that level of energy efficiency.
The "usual regular" incandescents of 75-100 watts will be banned in 2012 and the "usual regular" incandescents of 40-60 watts will be banned in 2014.
The improved incandescents that Paul Eldridge and I mentioned have sufficient energy efficiency to not be affected until 2020 according to this law.
GE is planning to put similar ones on the market in 2010.
"Specialty" incandescents are largely not affected. Paul Eldridge posted a list of unaffected ones in the "candlelight thread" in alt.home.repair on April 20 in article
That one can be viewed via Google (along with 24 other articles in the "candlelight thread" of at least 104 articles) by going to:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread / 695cb5879218f939/b9f8c930e2f6a64e?hl=en&
That article also mentions availability at Home Depot of incandescents that have sufficient energy efficiency to not be banned in 2012-2014.
Klipstein) wrote:

Some (Republican) congresswoman introduced a bill last week to scale back on that legislation and force Uncle Sam to keep its big nose out of people's lightbulbs. I hope it goes through.
Dennis M wrote:

Why don't you just buy a couple cases of incandescants and keep them with your 8 tracks. You seem to have missed the spiraling energy costs and don't seem to care about waste. Well, it's been a great 7 1/2 years for you hasn't it?
Jeff

Why don't you eat me, smartass. I use CFL bulbs in my home where they're warranted, I just want the option to use incandescents in certain situations also. I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of Americans do too.
snipped-for-privacy@dennmac.net says...

...and this one WILL be hoarding cases of incandescent light bulbs. I *hate* CFLs for most uses.
--
Keith

Dennis M wrote:

You still have that option. Specialty and low wattage lamps are exempt. There's few places where an edison base lamp couldn't be replaced with one of the CFLs satisfactorily. It pays to not buy the cheap discount store CFLs. And as Don pointed out, you can buy the new halogens, which will certainly fall in price.
I'd still like to use R12, but the switchover did close the ozone hole. Remember that?
Sometimes you have to do something because it has a far greater benefit.
Jeff
I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of Americans do

jeff@spam_me_not.com says...

I'm not about to use CFLs anywhere I spend any time. I'm not about to replace all my fixtures either. A case of bulbs here, and a case there...

Oh, good grief!

Someimes you just have to be a good little sheep, eh Komrad?

Sheep? Evidently...
--
Keith

krw wrote:

And, why not?
I'm not about

Why would you have to?
A case of bulbs here, and a case

I suppose you are still questioning evolution? And global warming?

Look whose calling who a sheep?
Sometimes it pays not to be a sheep and blindly believe all that horse manure W has been dishing out for the last 7 years. I'd say lemming is a more appropriate term.
The tungsten light bulb has been around almost 100 years. There's nothing else we use that comes anywhere near being as inefficient. The common light bulb rings in at about 5%. It doesn't have great color rendition unless corrected in which case it has a shorter life or is even less efficient, it runs up the heat load in summer, it has a terrible lifespan... The only real advantage it has is that it is cheap. But not cheap when you consider the lifespan or the energy it uses.
But hey, if you guys love your 100 year old design 100 Watt bulbs. I don't happen to have your emotional attachment.
Jeff

Incandesants are dumb to use as a main light source, they produce only maybe 3-5 % off that 100 watts consumed as light, so run 11, 100 watters this summer, and its the same as running a 1000w electric heater, pay to cool your home, and pay to heat it at the same time, Real Smart.
In article <1ec0eb83-47f9-4dd1-8d5e-7664bad6f5d4

<snip>
I have little need for lights (at home) in the summer. I bet you *hate* large screen TVs too.
-- Keith
jeff@spam_me_not.com says...

Primarily because I can't stand the light and they're too slow to turn on where I don't care about the light.

CFLs aren't for many fixtures. They do get hot and the electronics doesn't like it. You have a lot to learn, my boy.

Don't be an ass.

You *are* a perfect example of a sheep, who likes it when the man from Washington bends you over. I bet you really love those 1.6gal toilets. You'd have thought that congress would have thought up something larger, given their needs.

Don't be an idiot. I know it's hard work to think, but try it anyway.

The planet has been around a tad longer than that and is still useful.

Now, don't add lies to your list of sins, junior.

Tungsten lights have far better color rendition than most CFLs. Halogens (which I use almost exclusively), even better.

If that's your best argument, hang up your spurs, kid.

obviously
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Not as much as you.
There's other alternatives (at a higher cost) for the heat hell holes you mention. Personally, I've never liked or used recessed lighting. Most of them are big leaks in a homes thermal envelope, but you haven't impressed me as caring much about conservation, just consumption.

Don't be a flunky.

You've been listening to way too much wingnut radio/tv. Such is right wing opinion in that it is all opinion and no facts. Just insult anyone who disagrees. Don't let reality get in the way.
BTW, I have an old fashioned toilet because I live in an old house, but have no objection to the new design toilets. The new ones work, as opposed to the first generation.
You'd have thought that congress would have thought up

You seem to think we can just keep living the way we do now. I'm sure the Mayans felt the same way as they gobbled up all the available resources.

Name a common appliance that is less efficient. The only thing in the same ballpark is the common loudspeaker, but their drain on the grid is minor.

It's hard to call 2800K, good color rendition.

A few hundred degrees hotter.

There are excellent color balanced CFLs available, suitable for viewing and judging color balance in photography. Much better than the short lived photo floods. Certainly better than the common incandescent or your halogens.

I don't understand your problem. No one is taking away your specialty halogen lights. All we are talking about is the old edison based lamps which should join the trash bin of obsolete technology.

jeff@spam_me_not.com says...

<snip>
I'm sure IKYABWAI is the best argument you can come up with.

I do, but I'm not forcing you to have them.

Nonsense. How does a thermal leak occur between floors? If idiots, like you, design houses all sorts of stupid things are likely to happen.

Hardly a fluky, ass.

Absolutely the truth, which your "argument" falls well short of addressing.

You like to spout government lies. I have a set of "new" ones. They don't.

There are a *lot* of things we can do and will have to do. Having government (or you) force change for changes sake is asinine. Choice is a good thing. The market will decide the matters soon enough without government screwing up the economy.

Define efficient. Televisions. Toasters.

It's hard to call halogens, 2800K.

Stupid.
They all suck. I've tried them, and relegated them to the basement (when I had one). I own none now because I hate them.

They aren't "specialty". They have an Edison screw base, and come in the standard sizes. I have "standard" tungsten in some floor lamps though and closets though. I'll be buying a few hundred over the next couple of years because you leftist loons are forcing your religion on others, again.

Obviously.
--
Keith

krw check out a review of cfls at Popular Mechanics magazine, the new soft white are not what was out a few years ago, even by brand it different, PM put a HD soft white at Par with incandesant. And putting in cans in my kitchen does now allow out alot of air by sidewall loss up to the attic.
In article <d781eac8-bb27-4d3c-931f-
says...

Popular Mechanics? You mean that rag that had pictures of ion- powered helicopters? I haven't picked up that waste of trees since I was a kid.

Of course, and you never know what you're buying.

Not that I care what PM would ever have to say...

Huh?
-- Keith

I see so many 1.6 gallon/flush toilets nowadays that work as well as toilets ever did. This does have an effect on my consideration as to which side I would call a liar!
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

i would say that if one has difficulty with one's 1.6 gal. toilet, one should reacquaint oneself with <http://www.mypyramid.gov/ instead of embarking to recapitulate the work of Morgan Spurlock.
--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.