Incandescent light bulb replacements

Page 2 of 3
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is that what's causing the double tinitus? :(

Tomsic wrote:

The only place I've seen them so far is Walmart, and they only have about two feet of shelf space, compared to 150+ feet before 20012.

John Doe wrote:

At least as white? That is meaningless. The human eye is used to sunlight, and the closer a lamp's color temperature is to the sun's the better it is for proper color rendition.

Yawn. Is that how you shop, by price alone? If that were true, they would use the crap in TV & movie studios, instead of color corrected Halogens. How many TV studios have you engineered? How many times have you done lighting for a remote feed, or for a good quality Industrial Video production. How many TV stations did you work as an engineer? How many TV stations did you build?
Only one florescent lamp here is a GE It is a small, under counter lamp in the laundry buiilding and has been there for 13 years.
I'm sure that you have no clue that GE and other companies make a broad range of both Incandescent & Florescent lamps. If you did, you wouldn't have made that vague comment.

You don't have to believe it. Enjoy your blissful ignorance, I don't care.
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell earthlink.net> wrote:

http://home.earthlink.net/~abdk.castle/ Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/ Skype: michael.a.terrell

<04356535-4e9d-46c6-9400-db8c682dc139 x17g2000vba.googlegroups.com> <MPG.29eb96eb4bab728098a5a1 hamster.jcbsbsdomain.local> <db7bb9c8-a265-4b9d-8d4f-32ca1bbae3c6 n5g2000vbf.googlegroups.com> <MPG.29ec76051a05071398a5a7 hamster.jcbsbsdomain.local> <jluda5$nke$1 dont-email.me> <ynAgr.33070$gX6.31130 news.usenetserver.com> <bL2dnWepzLi8ih7SnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d earthlink.com> <m866o7l0r0lcqnd990rfen3epc4r5kdocm 4ax.com> <nae6o79oj1iaofqgq9gou7m5iga8hlippu 4ax.com> <jlvl7e$6je$1 dont-email.me> <jlvo6601s28 news4.newsguy.com> <zpGdnXJ1JIL57x7SnZ2dnUVZ_rsAAAAA earthlink.com> <jlvs8d$dvh$1 dont-email.me>

John Doe wrote:

You never do, when someone presents facts. After all, there is real science behind light. Unlike trolling.
I suppose the forged messages will start again? That is your typical MO, when people start to ignore you.

pyotr filipivich <phamp mindspring.com> wrote:

Because Glenn Beck told you so.
--

> --
> pyotr
pyotr filipivich wrote:

That makes you want to take a broom and smash all the bad bulbs. :(

19:39:14 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    For people on the spectrum - that's all florescent bulbs.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr
13:06:40 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    There is a guy in Germany who is selling 99 watt "heat lamps".
--
pyotr
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Yeah, but they are 240 V :(

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Heat (IR) lamps have been around for generations. Some have red glass to block almost everything, except IR.

In rec.crafts.metalworking,

You needed a rough service bulb or a bulb that could handle whatever electrical disturbance the grinder put out? LEDs probably won't help in the later case, and will vary brand to brand in the former. Some I've seen are a bit prone to falling apart and then it is hard to fix the wires to get them to operate again. And it it is a hot environment (eg totally enclosed) that could also cause problems for the circuits that run the LEDs. My old garage door opener was a bulb killer, but I gave up faster than you did with that lamp. Nothing I put in there CFL, rough service, appliance, or higher voltage rating (for any surges) would last more than a month or two. Never risked a LED in it.
Elijah ------ seven bucks sounds cheap for an LED bulb
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh, if it was truly shock to the filament, both CFL and LEDs should be much more robust. The LEDs should be able to take massive mechanical abuse, probably the first thing to go would be the plastic housings.
Jon
On 3/3/2012 10:17 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

I have a couple wall-fixture porch lights that killed every kind of CFL and incan bulb I tried in them within days. Apparently the fixtures just vibrate when the doors slam, since that's when the bulbs would always start to flicker or go out.
Last year I took a chance and bought a couple of these for $16 each- Utilitech 40-Watt Equivalent Indoor Warm White LED Light Bulb Item #: 338802 Model #: LA19DM/LED http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId151&catalogId051&cId=SEARCH&productId341246
So far they have worked perfectly--they are not ideal but they are bright enough, and have never flickered even a bit. And they are even cheaper now,,, on sale for $10 each.
--------
I have two other "difficult" fixtures however, vibration probably the culprit there too:
One is a light mounted over the kitchen stove, in the underside of the stove hood/microwave (the OEM bulb lasted a long time, but I can't get them anymore and every cheaper replacement the same size I tried burned out very quickly if the exhaust fan is used at all).
The second is a small lamp on a Sears bench grinder I have (Model# 21162). It is a smaller-socket halogen bulb and it worked great but burned out after only a couple months. A replacement I bought only lasted about as long, and cost me ~$7.
LEDs do not do well in heat so I dunno how a LED bulb might do over a stovetop. With the grinder, I haven't really gone searching for alternatives yet.
You mean the ones for indoor use only? I'm telling Mom!
[...]

The so-called "shock and vibration service" inandescent bulbs are still available and are on the DOE exempt list, so they shouldn't disappear due to federal regulations. Each type is made a little differently, but a lamp designed to withstand shock has more filament supports than standard bulbs and to compare lamps those can be counted simply by looking at the lamp (assuming it's a clear lamp).
For use in garage door openers and task lights with machine tools, I use bulbs made for electric signs and you can find them at distributors or on line. They're marked "sign service" in some lamp catalogs and are usually made in 11, 15, 25 and 40 watt sizes. Their filaments use a rhenium-tungsten alloy that only works with lower-wattage bulbs, but is great at resisting breakage from shock and vibration.
Tomsic
[...]

We were running a CFL light in one side and a bug light in the other side. The CFL was 'bug yellow' - so they though... That xxx lamp draws bugs and takes several minutes to put out light.
Rip off for a bug light. LED's might be better. Martin