incandescent light bulb phase-out in the U.S. (are flood bulbs exempt?)

Page 1 of 5
The federal government is banning incandescent bulbs over 100 watts this January http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs#United_States
Does anyone know for sure if flood lamp bulbs (such as PAR30) used in outdoor light fixtures will be exempt? I'd like to know if I need to stock up on the 120watt PAR30 flood bulbs that are used in some outdoor motion sensitive lighting fixtures.
Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs#United_States
The article is pretty clear, 120W is outside the range:
The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.
Also note that these are efficiency standards. Incandescent is not banned.
--
Dan Espen

Add pictures here
βœ–
Not entirely clear. Some specialty bulbs are exempt. it's not clear if outdoor flood lamps are or not.
On Sep 11, 11:59 am, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

But since it bans lights that don't make the efficiency standard and incandescents by their nature (and physics and...) can't make the efficiency standard, they are banning incandescent lights by any definition of the word used outside of DC.
βœ–
No need to stock up on old technology, energy-saving halogens to the rescue.
http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/blogs/republican/incandescent-light-bulb-ban-0711
http://www.lighting.philips.com/us_en/products/halogena_energy_saver/index2.php?main=us_en_consumer_lighting&parentu93748565&id=us_en_products&lang=en
Add pictures here
βœ–

Too late. I've already piled up about 400 60W clear bulbs.

Halogens are great for some uses. I don't like them where the bulb is part of the looks of the fixture, which almost all of mine are. They're blinding if directly in the eyes. Shadows seem worse, too.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you pay 10 cents/kilowatt and get 1000 hours life per bulb, those 400 bulbs will cost you $2,400 for electricity. Personally I'd use CFL or LED bulbs and pocket the $1,800 savings....but that's just me. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Absolutely irrelevant. CFLs are *UGLY* and LEDs ain't ready for primetime (not that CFLs are, for that matter).
Add pictures here
βœ–

With the exception of the oven, refrigerators and the dryer, I don't have a single incandescent bulb in the house.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's fine if the light and operating charecteristics are OK with you. Me, I use CFL where they make sense. And that sure isn't all over my house. They just do not produce light that is acceptable in all environments. I figure that most people are smart enough to figure out where to use them to save money where appropriate and don't need the govt forcing them on us where they don't belong.
I'll predict right now that some time next year, this phase-out of most incandescent light bulbs will come back to bite Congress big time. It will be one more example of what the people don't want, which is more govt running their lives. The consequences will be it will help make Obama a one term president and cost the Dems more seats in Congress.
Add pictures here
βœ–

have you seen the republican partys ideas.
elminate the minimum wage completely
end medicare as we know it
end social security as we know it for anyone not currently collecting benefits
cut taxes on the super wealthy, including dropping the capital gains tax rate to zero.
all of these will put more tax burdens on the middle class
Add pictures here
βœ–

Typical. You've taken every concept you don't agree with from God knows which Republicans, then in most cases totally distorted what they actually said, and packaged it into one convenient strawman.
Let's take one example. The current front runners in the Republican race are Romney and Perry by a huge margin. So they must represent the views of most Republicans. Show us where Romney or Perry, the front runners by a wide margin, have a plan of cutting the captial gains tax to zero for super wealthy Americans, putting more burden on the middle class.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Excellent idea, though you know as well as I that it's not going to happen.

Excellent idea. It *will* end, as we know it. It's better to control how it ends.

A lie, but see the above.

Excellent idea! However, Romney wants to drop it only on those making <$200K.

You're nuts.
Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
On 9/12/2011 12:22 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

LOL! Not as *UGLY* as your electric bill.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You're 100% wrong. Light is an *INSIGNIFICANT* part of my electric bill.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you leave your TV on standby when not watching, then that is a significant portion. Fridge and A/C are most important, then other appliances. Light may be a small portion, but CFL's do cut that part very nicely. While incandescant bulbs may have a slightly nicer light, we have gone to CFLs wherever we can.
--
Best regards
Han

Wrong. On standby it's next to nothing. When it's on (a significant part of the day) it's around 100X the power.

You forgot hot water and heat.

A couple of bucks a month. Maximum.

CFLs will always be ugly and I'm not convinced that LEDs will be any better for omnidirectional fixtures. That's the primary reason I've laid in a lifetime supply of incandescents.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hot water and heat should be gas, not eletric <grin>.

Fine, but it makes a difference in an incremental way

Sorry. But thanks for investing in a dying industry.
--
Best regards
Han

The vast energy and large supply chain of parts that goes into a CFL negates the savings. An incandescent has 5 parts. A CFL can have a hundred parts each of which needs a deep global supply chain, mining, and manufacturing of those complex electronic parts, not to mention the toxic phosphors, gasses and mercury. An incandescent has no toxic components and uses argon a harmless inert gas some glass, tungsten wire, aluminum, solder and brass. This story is much like the ethanol story, it takes more energy and pollutes more just to make the ethanol (a low btu fuel that gets fewer mpg to boot). But a farm lobby that keeps the boondoggle going in a few corn states.
Add pictures here
βœ–