Incandescent Bulb "Wear Out"

Page 2 of 3
On 2/6/2013 4:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Are any CFLs made in the US?
Maybe you should stop buying in the dollar store or in Canada.
I would buy one of many well known brands. If it is "Energy Star" I am confident it meets Energy Star standards which, as Tomsic wrote, cover more than "power consumption".

If it has a UL on the side, does it really mean that it's UL listed? Wanna buy a bridge?

If you have any suspicions that a UL label is a fake, contact UL. They have a fraud group that will act on such reports. It's no secret that it's a problem for them; but they've got to deal with it to protect the brand and reputation -- and they do. Same goes for CSA.
Tomsic

Tell them to check the HF electrical section.

No, you tell them. You have the details and I don't work for UL.
Tomsic

Idiot.

I reported a safety hazard to UL once, basically they didnt care, and I am a dealer for the product and could of been killed.....
I also found a wiring misake in a machine that neither the manufacturer or UL cared about:( They fused the white neutral side of the power line. A real hazard if the machine blows a fuse, wth the fuse on the white neutral power line side someone could get shocked or killed by a machine with the main fuse blown:(

I reported a safety hazard to UL once, basically they didnt care, and I am a dealer for the product and could of been killed.....
I also found a wiring misake in a machine that neither the manufacturer or UL cared about:( They fused the white neutral side of the power line. A real hazard if the machine blows a fuse, wth the fuse on the white neutral power line side someone could get shocked or killed by a machine with the main fuse blown:(
Sad - no excuse for it. I've found both UL and CSA responsive; but I deal with them more on the testing side than the user side. Wonder if a call to the local electrical inspector might have helped.
Tomsic

Since I was a dealer for the manufacturers involved I didnt want to create a big stink, but was amazed UL wasnt interested, and on the safety issue that endagered users I contacted them twice and got the same brush off both times.....

Not so. Energy Star requires performance testing, including lamp life, and certification of the data by a "3rd. Party" (usually an approved test lab.). Requirements are also due to be tightened later this year.
Tomsic

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 20:22:32 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I've got a chrome bathroom light fixture with 8 of those clear round stylish incandescent bulbs in it. They came with the house over 12 years ago and don't even show any black. I wonder what makes them last so long?

Seems that small wattage bulbs dont get black as much as hi-wattage ones. When I was a kid, they had a lot of 500W incandeacents bulbs. My father installed them outdoors in a metal shade covered fixture and they would get real black over time. Those were replaced by 100W or 150W flood lights later on, which seemed to shed as much light and lasted longer.
On Monday, February 4, 2013 9:22:32 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

"None seem to last long," because you changed one once? That would be the typical knee-jerk reaction from most people...
On 02-04-2013 18:30, bob haller wrote:

I have never bought a CFL--Feit, GE, Sylvania--that didn't say either five-year or seven-year warranty on it.
I have also never seen one last three months, although the ones currently in my dining room are getting close.
Oops, retraction. The one in my bedroom is about six months. But it is only on five or ten minutes a day, while the fine print on the warranty is three hours a day.
The warranties are just a marketing gimmick anyway. We'll replace the bulb if you don't lose your receipt AND you ship it at your expense to our headquarters.
--
Wes Groleau

“Ideas are more powerful than guns,
On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 00:22:41 -0500, Wes Groleau

On 02-05-2013 00:28, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, actually the only one I complained to was in California. Postage was slightly less than the cost of the bulb--but the difference didn't make up for the irritation of having the replacement garbage crap out the same way.
--
Wes Groleau

You're all individuals!

CFL's do loose output as they age.
It's easy to measure output. Use light meter.
I actually have that function on my HF vom.
Greg
My grand parents had a light bulb that lasted from 1929 (house built) till they moved out in the late 1980's. It was a ceiling mounted 20 watt incandescent in an indoor small foyer.
I've purchased quite a few CFL's. Just about all of them were sylvania. Some last for years, others last for weeks. The ones that last the longest either are rarely used or turned on and left on most of the day. My wife does not care for the CFL failure mode of pop, spark, stinky burnt electrical parts smoke wafting thru the house. My solution is to switch over to halogen's encased in a traditional incandescent glass envelope. The halogen seem to be compatable with my built in intermatic light timers.
Steve 73 de N2UBP
Steve Stone wrote:

For those not already aware of this:
http://www.centennialbulb.org /