In line water shut off valve

Page 2 of 2
Either compare it to photos of valves, or take a digital pic, and post with a free hosting site. Send the URL here. http://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-systems/plumbing/105-plumbingvalvetypes.html Some pictures. I could not find a web site more useful than this. Sorry.
On 12/17/2012 05:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And how do I determine that?

It sounds like you're going to replace the valve. In which case, it doesn't matter what kind it is. The issue is what you want to use to replace it. For an outside water shutoff I'd use a ball valve with drain. Drain for anywhere freezing is an issue, unless the outside spigot is a frost proof sillcock. Another choice is to get rid of the valve and go with a frost proof sillcock, in which case you don't need to shut it off for winter. The advantage to a shutoff inside plus the outside valve, even if it's frost proof, is that you can turn the water off inside so no one can turn it on outside when the house is unoccupied, etc. But you could also turn off the water to the whole house if you're away for an extended period. that's what I do.
'Jim[_46_ Wrote: > In line shut off valve in basement does not fully stop water to > outside spigot.
No, if this valve shuts the water off ONLY to the outside spigot, then it SHOULD be a valve with a drain on the downstream side, like this:
[image:
http://www.abacusinspection.com/images/valveWithDrain.jpg ]
The drain is the little knurled knob on the bottom of the valve that you can turn with your fingers, and it's purpose is to allow you to drain the water out of the pipe between the valve and the outside spigot IF the inside valve is leaking. Otherwise, water will flood that pipe, freeze and expand, and possibly cause that pipe to burst.
If the leaking valve only shuts off water to the outdoor spigot, your best bet is to open the drain and allow the leaking water to leak into a pail on the floor, thereby protecting the downstream supply piping.
Replace the valve with a ball valve in the spring, and if it wuz me, I'd get a ball valve with a drain on it too.
[image:
http://www.lexballvalve.com/laixin009/products/small/201102/Brass_Ball_Valve_With_Drain_368_0_1297597262.jpg ]
Always install valves with drains on them so that the drain is on the bottom. And, of course, the drain should always be on the downstream side of the valve.
--
nestork