In-line water filter

I would like to put a filter in the water line to the refrigerator. The problem is that I don't want to have to move the refrigerator to change the filter. My fridge set up is built in. There is a wooden partition wall on the left side of the fridge and countertop on the other. The incoming line is behind the fridge. The only two options seem to be, either cut into cabinets and put the filter under the counter or cut into the partition and let it be exposed in the area I keep the trashcan. Another idea would be to put behind the fridge. The filters I have been googling in the internet look like they are not made to be mounted to the wall. They look like they would be just hanging free in the plumbing line. I would think the best way to go would be to mount a base for the filer to the wall with the plumbing hookup and then have a filter that can be replaced.

BTW here is a drawing of my fridge.

If I could find a base that can be mounted to the wall and opening to the side, behind the fridge would be a great spot.

How did the experts add one?

Reply to
Metspitzer

What is your purpose for wanting to mount it on to the wall?

Reply to
Molly Brown

Just curious, what model fridge do you have and how old is it? Most fridges have some kind of filter in the grill at the bottom. Otherwise, if your supply line comes from under the sink or perhaps from the basement below, that would be the easiest place to put the filter.

Most new fridges today have easy access filter replacement. My GE is inside the food compartment up on top. No shutting off valves, makes it easy. Just something to think about if you are thinking about getting a new fridge.

Reply to
Mikepier

Reply to
don &/or Lucille

fridge.http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1633/0002zj.jpg>>

Most people put it in the basement ceiling, on the line leading to the fridge. If you don''t have a basement under the kitchen, or if the basement is finished, it gets harder. In that case, only practical choice is in-line behind the fridge. No real need to wall-mount it, if anyone even offers a model like that. They don't weigh much. You could always tie it off to wall with a velcro strap. Just be careful to not over-stress the feed line, especially if it is copper. They love to take a set. My filter is way overdue for replacement- but the idiots who installed my new furnace and added ducts out to the addition (to replace a wall furnace out there), went and hung a large duct right under the damn thing. If I ever get around to getting a plumber in here to work the punch list I have come up with, re-routing that line is one of the items on the list. Until then, I have just given up using the ice/water feature of the fridge. Don't really miss it, since my tap water is nasty-tasting, and I keep the stuff I do drink in the fridge anyway.

Reply to
aemeijers

How big is it? Where does the water line come from? I would put it in the basement or right in the refrigerator motor area. Don't want to move the fridge to change it? Basement is the best place.

Reply to
LSMFT

Where does the water line originate? In my case, it is in the basement and exposed so I put the filter there.

If the water comes from the sink, is it possible to put a filter under the sink?

I vaguely remember seeing a smallish filter that can be wall mounted and had a small cartridge, but that was a couple of years ago and may no longer be available. It would be just right under a sink. My original in line filter had a bracket that holds it in place but that is now discontinued also. Sometimes progress isn't.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

I have a small wall mounted one with a replaceable cartridge. Whirlpool model WHCF-IMTOS. It's labeled as a refrigerator filter, but I'm using it in a water line for an unsoftened water fountain at the kitchen sink. It's mounted in the basement and taps into the water line just before the softener. Most new fridges come with an inside the box water filter.

Reply to
willshak

Sadly my water line and shutoff valve for my fridge is in a crawlspace. I have a 3/4 basement. I guess another option would be use enough copper line to extend the filter into the basement. I guess I could also put it under the sink. Both options would require at least 25 more ft of copper, but doable. If I do add a filter, I plan to add a shut off valve behind the fridge.

I prefered having a filter with a base so you could change the filter without worrying about putting any stress or movement on the existing line. I also thought this would allow you to change the filter without dripping water.

My fridge is pretty old. It doesn't have a water outlet. The filter would be for the ice maker only.

I will probably just use ice trays until this fridge dies, then get a fridge with a built in filter.

Thanks everyone.

Reply to
Metspitzer

re: "The filters I have been googling in the internet look like they are not made to be mounted to the wall."

I don't know which Google you are using, but this was one of the first hits I got:

As others have said, try the basement.

My filter is installed in the joist bay under the kitchen. It's similiar to this and came with a bracket that screws into the joist and has a hose clamp to hold it in place.

DerbyDad03

re: "You drink the water from a garden hose in the Summer without draining the hot water from it?"

Only when the toilet's empty.

re: "It's hot enough to scald my hand."

The water in your hose gets above 120 degrees? In Hamptonburgh, NY? Wow!

re: "I even drain the water from it before watering the plants."

Very wasteful. Do you really think that the small amount of warm water from a hose is going to hurt your plants, especially if applied through a spray nozzle? The heat will be dissipated so quickly it couldn't possibly harm a plant.

In fact, some studies have shown that warmer water is better than cold water for most plants. *Hot* water is sometimes used to kill fungus gnats, although one certainly has to be careful when applying it near the roots.

My wife has some beautiful gardens around our house and the only place she drains the hoses is into the gardens themselves.

She also tends the gardens at the adult day-care farm where she works. Trust me, she's not draining the long hoses that lay around in the sun all day before she waters the plants/vegetables.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Mention "Putnam water" to anyone in a 50 mile radius and they grimace. I'd love to send you a gallon for your subjective review and I bet you'd take some action not to drink it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski