In-line fuse

Group:

I have a step-up transformer (115V->230V) rated for 100VA that I use for powering various low wattage European appliances. I've had a visitor from Europe use it and overload it. It heated-up quite nicely, but fortunately seems to be undamaged. I'd like to put an inline fuse on the input (i.e.

115V) side to prevent inadvertant overloads by people who don't understand what "you can use it for your hair curler but not for your hairdrier" means.

Does anyone know of a modular unit that has a standard US plug on one side, socket on the other and a modular fuse? Hmm, sounds like I'm trying to build a UK-style plug!

Cheers

Den

Since you want to protect the transformer, I suggest putting in a box ahead of the transformer and put in an appropriate breaker in place.

Of course I have to ask; why don't you just use the standard 220V already available rather than use a step-up transformer?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

As Joe said why not rewire for 220, using a transformer will waiste

10-20 % in conversion. Fuse the circuit properly, but hot does not mean it is damaged, perhaps an undersized transformer.
Reply to
m Ransley

Daniel Woodhead makes a 15 amp,125 volt plug with a fuse holder in it. Model number 14F47 is yellow and Model number 85125 is hospital grade transparent. You can see them here:

You will need to go to an electrical supply house to purchase one. It may not be a stock item for some of the smaller supply houses.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

Joseph

Thanks for this. At the moment we only have 110V circuits in our house. I might get a couple of 220V circuits run when I start to remodel (but not just yet!)

Den

John

Thanks for this.

Out of interest, why is it only the UK & Ireland that routinely put fuses in plugs?

Cheers

Den

I don't think they are the only ones but it may be due to the use of ring distribution circuits rather than radial. With no fuse in the plug, the first fuse outside the equipment would be 30A or some 7.5kW.

Reply to
Palindr☻me