In-house visit by a "Rainbow vacuum" salesperson

Page 4 of 5

"Don't you have rugs on them?"

If it's a prayer rug in front of the altar, well, that's a clue. Of course, you'd have to use a spiritual vacuum to clean those.
--

-- mejeep deMeep ferret!

On 30 Apr 2007 00:39:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Jeff Jonas) wrote:

My whole life is a spiritual vacuum.
(not really, but couldn't resist.)

Sounds like you found some deceptive statements and practices.
Doesn't somebody (maybe Hoover) make a much cheaper water-filtered vacuum cleaner, for those who want to use that kind of filtering?
Ignoramus32056 wrote:

The Rainbow will pick up plaster dust and trap it in the water if you add a few drops of dishwashing liquid. I had a friend in SW Ohio that rebuilt and sold thousands of used vacuum cleaners from his home in the mid '80s. The Rainbow rarely had a bad motor or damaged impeller. He would spend a lot of time buffing scratches and other marks out of the cast aluminum Kirbys. The eurekas all needed new paint, power cords and lots of new power switches. Most of the Rainbow were missing a wheel on the dolly, or the hose or power cord were damaged. He cleaned them up, buffed the plastic case and sold them for half the price of a new machine. He usually had a six month waiting list.
As for metal content, he would give me 100 or more bad vacuum cleaner motors at a time. I would break them down and toss parts that were too far gone, then rebuild as many as I could because he was always looking for some motor he needed today to complete a sale. He was amazed how nice the armatures looked, and was convinced that i had an armature lathe hidden somewhere in my shop. Finally, I showed him how to use a variable DC power supply and an ink eraser to polish the commutators, and a modified exacto knife blade to under cut the mica between segments. I could take a a lot of motors apart to inspect the impellers, then polish and undercut the armature in under 15 minutes. Then he would buy them back for $15 or more.
prove it.
Consumer Reports do not rate them well. They are heavy and nothing special at vacuuuming. Notwithstanding a friend has one and loves it. But it broke once and repairs are expensive just like the original vacuum.

Art wrote:

Makes the $149 Eureka Smart Boss Vac or whatever it's called look pretty darn good for the $$...
Rob

Long ago and far away, the mother of a girl I knew asked me to sit in on a vacuum demonstration. Might have been Kirby. He did the usual stuff, which we thought pretty amusing.
Then her father got home, just as the salesman was getting to the "betcha this thing can pick up anything. Find something for me to show you" bit. Her father said "just a moment", went into the basement, and came back with a cylinder about 3/4" in diameter, 8" long.
Just as the salesman was moving the hose towards the thing, he asked "oh, by the way, what is this?".
"Stick of dynamite" was the reply.
The salesman was out of the house within 15 seconds...
--
Chris Lewis,

Chris Lewis wrote:

Rainbow built a vacuum that would pick up a bowling ball. The only problem was that it could also pull carpet off the tack strips. They had to recall all of them and convert them to their standard motor.
prove it.
Chris Lewis wrote:

The sign adjacent to our front door:
Solicitors Welcome Tuesdays 7:00 PM
Dungeon Tours Tuesdays 7:15 PM
Human Sacrifices Tuesdays 7:30 PM
Haven't been bothered in years
Carla From whence, then, could arise the solitary and strange conceit that the Almighty, who had millions of worlds equally dependant on His protection, should quit the care of all the rest, and come to die in our world, because, they say, one man and one woman had eaten an apple? - Thomas Paine

(metalworking group removed due to irrelevancy)
Despite the sales practices, the fact remains that the Rainbow is a pretty good vacuum, if not particularly frugal. I've had mine since 1978. Had the motor replaced once (don't EVER leave it for prolonged periods with the tank filled, due to evaporative corrosion) and recently had the motor and bearings overhauled due to normal age-related issues. One lives with the minor hassle of dealing with the tank - I just dump it into an old sieve and toss the crud into the kitchen trashcan. I have no complaints with the longevity, reliability, and performance. Obviously paying the door-to-door price is preposterous. I got mine for something like $300 or $350 as a model closeout at a retail establishment, which even in 1978 wasn't a horribly shocking sum.
It's an unusual niche product which performs well.
Art
On Apr 27, 12:27 pm, Ignoramus32056 <ignoramus32...@NOSPAM. 32056.invalid> wrote:

They came to my house one time with the offer of a free carpet shampoo to demonstrate. They did not clean the carpet and would not leave. I had to threaten a call to the police to get them to go.
thestuccocompany.com had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/In-house-visit-by-a-Rainbow-vacuum-salesperson-212813-.htm :
This is ma\\' SIG ------------------------------------- Ignoramus32056 wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living - messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/In-house-visit-by-a-Rainbow-vacuum-salesperson-212813-.htm
i bought one yrs ago back before hepa filters were common. loved the lack of "vac scent". when we had to replace the carpet, there was no dirt on or under the pad. that doesn't happen with a regular vac. one of the minuses is that you have to empty the container. if you have too much dirt, which is most likely when you begin using a rainbow, you'll get mud, so be sure to empty frequently if you're a new user. if you have pet hair, you need to know if it's safe to flush down your toilet, else you'll have to dump the container elsewhere. i also was able to use it as a carpet cleaner since there was a carpet cleaning attachment. at this time, i prefer an upright, but it's still in my basement awaiting the next time i have need of a carpet cleaner (which may be never again).

My next-door neighbors have had one for about 30 years I guess. Had to replace the switch but it still works and they still use it.
--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423 /
thestuccocompany.com wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/In-house-visit-by-a-Rainbow-vacuum-salesperson-212813-.htm
rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living - messages and counting!

spaco wrote:

Wait, you mean the amount of power the motor draws doesn't directly correlate with suction? Who woulda thunk that?
Reminds me back when "transistor" radios competed by counting transistors.
SMS wrote:

And if you are a little (maybe a lot) older the radios, especially by "Midwest" (as I remember the name), were competing by the number of tubes. In some cases I think only with the heaters connected. :-) ...lew...

A friend, who was taking a watchmaking class, once showed me a "23 jewel" watch. It was a typical 17 jewel swiss movement (worht about $10, at the time) with 6 garbage jewels taped to the rear case.

Weren't they all "five tube wonders"? Dangerous things! 50% chance of the metal chasis being live. The only thing between the operator and 120V was the plastic knob.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Most of them were 5 tubes but the Midwest ones advertized 8 and 10 tubes with dummies. And yes the chassis were at one side of the line so if pluged in the wrong way could be HOT. ...lew...