In-house visit by a "Rainbow vacuum" salesperson

Page 1 of 5

We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000 "Rainbow cleaning system". For just listening, we received a gift of some bed sheet and also a "gift travel certificate" from a company called "Certs, Inc". (which is a florida based travel gifts company that does not make me very excited)
http://www.rainbowsystem.com /
What this thing is, it seems, is a 25k RPM impeller sitting on top of a Lexan bowl filled with water. The impeller sucks air in, makes it whirl in a way that it makes contact with water and sheds the dust and other stuff into water.
There is no filter, like on conventional vacuums that trap particles into a filter. Water acts as a filter.
The machine was supposedly "1.9 HP", however, when measured with my Kill-A-Watt power meter, it registered only 850 watts consumed from the wall outlet, so it could not be more than 1 HP. OK, we all know that everyone is lying about HP these days. No biggie. If it was 1.9 HP, it would trip the breakers all the time.
As a side comment, what we have now is a Sears Kenmore upright vacuum that is a real beast, it uses about 13 amps and has a HEPA filter.
Then the saleswoman proceeded to make various points, which I may not remember all or in correct order, but I will mention a few.
1. Vacuum cleaners do not pick up sand from carpets/rugs, well. No comment on my part.
2. After just 15 minutes of use, due to dust getting into the fine mesh of the vacuum's filter, the "air flow" diminishes due to dust blocking the little pores. So a vacuum cleaner is not usable.
This was a total lie, as was easy to demonstrate with my vacuum which has its bag 2/3 full already. It still sucked well and produced a lot of suction and air flow.
3. Vacuums blow dust around and increase amount of dust.
I cannot say that it is false, for sure, but the 2.3 full bag in our vacuum attests that it traps at least some dust. Plus, it does have a HEPA filter.
She did some acrobatics by taking out the HEPA filter, which had some dust on the back, kind of mashed it in her hands a little and put back, -- then when the vacuum turned on, a lot of dust was indeed blown out.
4. Then there were some demonstrations that Rainbow would still pick up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, which could possibly be true but I think that she cheated a bit by going outside the area that I actually vacuumed, a bit -- it is kind of hard to tell, I think so but my spouse is not so sure.
5. She made some claims about infections that her system prevented, which went somewhat over my head but overall I was not sure if it was not complete bunk.
We did not purchase this system in the end, but I wanted to hear some opinions on this stuff.
Ignoramus32056 wrote:

I sold them briefly over 25 years ago. they are a good product that is overpriced with a scam of a marketing system. I starved for a few weeks then got a job
Lessee.
I want to talk to you today about air pollution, not outdoor air pollution, but indoor air pollution......

"Our youngest son tried selling them years ago as his first sales job. Learned a lot! Had to sell a minimum of 5 a month, I think, in order to get any commission. He sold 4, including one to his Grandparents. He practiced his sales pitch on us, but we didn't buy. Yes, they work and work really well, but hauling the bowl of black water to the toilet at the end of a job didn't strike me as very desirable. He quit after 4 sales, having learned same valuable lessons, particularly how scams work.
By the way, the Grandparents let theirs set for months with water still in it and next time they went to use it, the motor was rusted tight. There, some actual metal content!
Paul

co snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
<snipped>

There are lots and lots of people who got conned into becoming insurance salespersons who give up after they made two or three sales to relatives and found the rest of the world isn't quite as easy to pitch insurance too.
Jeff (Who removed RCM from the "To" address list for this reply. <G>)
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

If you drink, don\'t drive. Don\'t even putt.

...Dean Martin

I vacuum every 5 years whether it needs it or not.
I've given away 3 uprights in the last year, and I still have 3 or 4. It's like having a racing bike and a trail bike, I like them all.
Plus the cannister vac that I use most of the time.
Plus two electric brooms and 2 I gave away.
I get them all out of the trash, clogged with thread and other stuff that get's vaccuumeed up. Takes under a half hour to get the clog out.
A lot of people don't realize that the vacuums get clogged, and they throw them away when the don't suck anymore.
Takes even less time now that I bought a pair of 1-foot tweezers.
Ignoramus32056 wrote:

A "cult" vacuum cleaner like a Kirby. They've been around for ages.
Some people love them. I had a housemate years ago. She was a professional janitor/ housecleaner and she swore by them. I couldn't imagine dealing with the water bowl everytime I'd use it.
Like the Kirby, if you want one, you can usually pick one up on ebay for about 1/3 the door-to-door price.
I've gotten 3 Kirbys for free out of the trash. They work but weigh a ton. No Rainbows so far. I like the free Eurekas and Hoovers from the trash. You put on a new belt or orient it correctly and a new bag and your good to go. Karl

On of my part time jobs in college was rebuilding these puppies. THe guy would by up all of the old ones he could find, make the minor repairs they usually needed, ( more often than not a new impeller, due to pennies or other metal being sucked in) send the bodies out to be polished, and slap new plastic trim from Kirby on.
jk
My parents had one for over 20 years. It always worked great, and I didn't think much about it.
When I was in college, I lost my job and started cleaning houses while looking for a regular job. I was diagnosed with asthma and had a really rough winter. The problem is I was using the vacuum cleaners provided at the houses. I never knew it, but that water tank vacuum cleaner was keeping me from asthma problems.
Changing a bag or getting a clogged hose would set off asthma attacks for a week. But with the rainbow, all I had to do was empty a water tank, and I'm not allergic to mud.
I currently have a Eureka vacuum with a canister. It's better than the bags since I can see when it is full and carefully empty it without too much dust in the air. I still have more allergy problems than I used to.
I would love to get another Rainbow vac, but I can't afford to buy a spendy one, and even the used ones are usually over $500. I almost had a good trade for one on craigslist, but after setting up the trade, the person stopped responding.
I can see why a lot of people wouldn't want one, but if you have allergies and have trouble with emptying out the dirt, a rainbow might be a great choice for you. Also, since the dirt is going through the water bowl, you don't need to buy and change filters a lot.

It's a pain. And then you get lazy. And then the thing sits for a week and starts to mold. And then it stinks and you *really* don't want to take it out 'cause it smells like a cesspool. And then your mom yells at you and you take it out.
Grew up with one. Mom got conned. They're no better than anything else. Just cost 10 times as much.
***
We had a guy come by the house last year. Hit the wife up. I basically kept hinting that it was time to leave. He ended up spending over 2 hours on his demonstration and we turned him down on buying it. (Hey, we asked him to leave before he even started, but he *insisted*)
And then he insulted us. And then he was rude: "If you live *here* (we have the nicest house on the street, and quite likely for miles around) -- if you live *here* in a house like this, then *obviously* you can afford a lousy 2 grand for a vacuum."
I told him to go to hell. "It's exactly *because* we don't spend our money on stupid shit like you're hawking that we can afford to live in a little nicer house"
He still wouldn't leave. So ... I got out my cleaning kit, and walked over to my gunsafe. Pulled out my 12 guage like I was gonna start cleaning it and the bastard nearly crapped his pants as he was running for the door.
I hate these salesfolks and can't honestly believe there are enough suckers out there to spend 2 grand per to keep 'em in business ... but then again, I grew up in a house with one so I guess Mom got suckered too.
Ignoramus32056 wrote:

Igiot, he should have sold you some brain. Then you could have figured out that you made just another posting not belonging to crafts.metalworking.
Nick
I recall someone trying to sell me a Kirby. I gave him an entry mat that had a rubber back and a short nap and asked him to take his Kirby and suck away until he thought the rug was clean.
When he stopped I turned the mat upside down and ran my old beater rescued from a dumpster Hoover over the rubber backing. The beater bars were the only thing doing anything banging the back of the rubber, and when I stopped and flipped the carpet right side up there was a bunch of dirt that had migrated out from the nap of the carpet.
I said "Look at all the dirt the Kirby left behind! I don't thing that guy was a vacuum cleaner salesman long after that.
--
Roger Shoaf

[metalworking group removed]
Someone came to my house a while back and went through the spiel of having me vacuum using my vacuum, then using his to show how much more it picked up. What I didn't do then, but should have, was have him go over the same spot again with his vacuum to see if it picked up even more.
--
charls

Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:36:57 -0700 from Charles Bishop

A proper test would have done it both ways with equally soiled carpet: half done with your vacuum first and then the Kirby, hale done in the opposite order.
http://OakRoadSystems.com /
True story - My uncle was a door-to-door vac salesman during the great depression. My father was out of work and so my uncle offered to train him. This was in the days when door-to-door salesmen would literally stick their foot in the doorway to keep the homeowner from slamming the door shut.
Anyway, the routine was to start the demo before the homeowner could say no. They would take a small bag of dirt, throw it on the carpet, and demonstrate how well the vac picked it up.
My dad, finally ready to go it alone, went into a house in a rural area while my uncle waited in the car. Too much time had passed so my uncle went to the door to check how the demo was going. He found my dad sweeping up the dirt with a broom.
"What's the matter with the vac?" "The vac is fine - this lady's house has no electricity!"
Ed
Didn't Abbot & Costello do that sketch at one time?, not saying it isn't true, they probably got it from somewhere like the "two Ronnies " in the UK with the "four candles" sketch, it was based on fact. http://www.angelfire.com/me/tvcomedy/fourcandles.html
ed wrote:

ed wrote:

hee hee hee I heard a story like that in Reader's Digest years ago, and it's *still* funny. The salesman said if the vac didn't pick it up, he's eat it, and the housewife said, "Here's a spoon. We don't have electricity."

Also, part of the plot of an "I Love Lucy" episode.