In-ground pool question/rant

Page 2 of 2
On 7/26/2011 11:24 AM, gpsman wrote:

Strips or reagent?

my chlorine is evaporating with the water. ph is about the same

with rain at least you know what it is and can shock accordingly.

that's the test: do you have algae? y/n Yes? You have phosphates.

our's used to be really good but as with everything time drifts on.

i'll check it out.
Wh
On 7/26/2011 10:40 AM, Jim T wrote:

CORRECTION "reagent". Sorry for the stupidity.

What is your cyanuric acid level? That's the chlorine stabilizer. Without it, the chlorine you dump in the pool dissipates into the air through the surface of the water. Buy a stabilizer test kit. I had to adjust mine every two years or so. You might be missing the easy answer.
Other than that, I NEVER did ph, phosphate, and all that stuff. Just made sure there was enough stabilizer, and then checked the chlorine level. Everything else just fell into line after that.
In order for algae to form and grab hold, there has to be a lack of chlorine. Fergeddabout phosphates, ph, and all that other falderal.
YMMV
Steve
On 7/26/2011 3:08 PM, Steve B wrote:

Thanks steve and looking into to it. I have a free chlorine station set up and I'm dribbling out free chlorine by the hours now. we'll see. chlorine was at 3 just about 2 hours ago.

If you are using a lot of chlorine, and you STILL got algae, I'd say it probably is your stabilizer. UNLESS, like I had when the pine trees bloomed and all the gold dust settled on the pool. A mass infusion of some type of degradable organic gunk.
Cyanuric acid testers are about $20, IIRC, and there is enough to do tests for about five years, two a year. Simple to use. So simple I did it.
Upon adding a jug of stabilizer, a gallon, IIRC, I cut my chlorine by 75%. I had a 32,000 gallon pool, and I would put two of those 3" tabs in the ducky floater, and replace when they got thin, and no algae unless I let the pool get real dirty, which happened a couple of times when I was traveling, or had a pump/filter failure for a few days.
Let us know. Even if you do have issues with other things due to the water in your area, stabilizer is one of the top three things that can cause pool problems, and one of the top three easiest things to fix. And top three cheapest.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide Now on Facebook, too

Exactly my experience.
Pool stores will sell you every thing under the sun to get rid of algae. But if they sell you something that works, you stop buying.
For 13K gallons, I add 5 gallons of liquid chlorine. End of algae.
I use Algacide but when I want to get rid of algae, chlorine is the weapon of choice.
--
Dan Espen

On 7/26/2011 4:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

score one for more chlorine (free sounds like)
On 07/26/2011 11:40 AM, Jim T wrote:

***************** Switching to an earth filter will pay for itself in the long run. Sand filters are the worst filters for a pool. They get clogged with gunk very quickly and back flushing them just doesn't remove the gunk.
I had a pool when I was raising my kids and switching from a sand to an earth filter was the best investment I could have made for that pool. I only had to run the filter 4 hours a day instead of 8 and just shock the pool once a week or so, no other chlorine products needed. The savings in electricity, wear and tear, chemicals and filtering agent (not to mention no more problems) easily paid for for the cost of a new filter.
John

I would power wash mine, BUT BE CAREFUL, AS YOU CAN ALSO TAKE OFF THE PLASTER!
Steve

Very good advice about the test kit. I don't trust the kids at the pool store either. Listening to them you could spend hundreds of dollars buying their Balance Pak 2000 or whatever instead of a cheap readily available chemical like baking soda.
I use the Taylor 2006 test kit, which is about $50. It tests for everything you need to measure including cyanuric acid and free chlorine. It's probably saved me $1000 compared to taking water in to the pool store. And the pool has been trouble free.
I agree with Steve that if he's putting in a lot of chlorine he may be lacking stabilizer. Key question, what form is the chlorine that's being used? If it's liquid, there is no stabilizer. If he's using trichlor, then that includes stabilizer. You don't want to get too much, because once it's in the only way to get it out is to drain the water.