in-drive

How bad an idea would it be to voluntarily give your insurance company your driving data, car location, etc., etc.?
My agent says it would save at least 5%, hardly seems worth it.
https://www.in-drive.com/sf/howItWorks.html#IL
"But the insurance discount part of the program is the opt-in driver monitoring in exchange for insurance discounts (would there be increases if your foot is heavy?) What State Farm says it will track: your "mileage, turns, acceleration, braking, speed and time of day vehicle is operated."
It says those who volunteer will save about 10% on liability, medical, collision and comprehensive coverage, reset at each 6-month renewal. It says cuts may go up to 50% "based on how safely a person drives, when they drive, and how much they drive" (i.e., is it less that the U.S. average of about 12,000 miles a year?)."
http://technicallywell.com/state-farm-drive-safe-and-save-review
Maybe I should do this in the car the kids use.
On 3/19/2015 9:22 PM, Stumpy wrote:

It would be a slightly better idea than putting your huevos in a Cuisinart and hitting the on button. All my insurance company needs to know about me is I've been paying them premiums for 25 years and they've never paid a claim for me.
On 3/19/2015 11:42 PM, rbowman wrote:

+1 and that, in itself, should be grounds for a substantial discount. Instead, they continue to raise rates and bend us over the coals to slide it in deeper.
Insurance = scam
On 03/20/2015 01:22 AM, Stumpy wrote:

I'd guess the top causes of preventable accidents are distracted drivers and tailgating. Will this wonder-box make people hang up and drive? Will it determine who is tailgating?

No way do I want the insurance company tracking my speed. They may not increase my rates, but just drop me in spite of my accident free history. .
On 3/19/2015 11:22 PM, Stumpy wrote:

Do the kids pay the insurance?

Not yet. It's a family car, but on second thought, I don't think I want State Farm to have that information either.

insurance company or anyone else having access to it.
On 03/20/2015 04:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It's probably better if I don't know either. Bad idea all around.
On 3/20/2015 7:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

With Hyundai BlueLink you can get alarms sent to you if you car exceeds a certain speed or goes out of a given area. Glad my parents didn't have that available.

If you have CostCo near you check into their car insurance. It's the least expensive I've found and everyone I've suggested it to has found it to be less expensive then what they had. Same for homeowners insurance. My local state farm agent has been trying to beat them for 3 years and still can't.