Improved security for shredders

Page 1 of 2
If you want even greater security for material you shred, I suggest two ideas.
#1 Always mix the material in the shredder and empty part of it into the trash, leaving maybe a third.
This will mean that unless someone gets your trash ever week, they are not likely to get a full document. I imagine that would be very frustrating. :-)
#2 Got a cat or dog? Add the you know what to the trash back with the shred. It would discourage me.
I do follow my first suggestion. Not that I really think I need to worry, but I do get a little smile thinking of the possibility of some homeland security team working weeks trying to figure out what is going on.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
cross cut shredders are muc more expensive, chop everything into little squares that would take days to reassemble.
i have a wealthy friend he shreds them then burns them. kinda overkill if you ask me.
I think for most of us security issues are overblown, true it could create a BIG hassle but wouldnt long term be anything more than that
We burn all of our documents, not very hard to go out to the garden and sit around a nice relaxing evidence burn, errr, I mean document burn!!
searcher
Searcher wrote:

Well, that may be ok sometimes. Here in Oklahoma this last week end they finally lifted the burn ban that has been in effect since November. Kind of hard to burn your papers when you aren't allowed a fire of any kind (including outdoor barbecues).
Bill Gill
You ALL should read this article:
http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/creditcard/application.shtml
It's about a guy who ripped up a credit card application that came in the mail, taped it up, sent it out and GOT THE CARD!! He even changed the address and phone number on the application and got it! It makes me want to by a cross cut.
Bill Gill wrote:

We have a cross-cut shredder, which cost less than $100 if I remember. For special documents, I put them through the shredder and then the kitchen sink with some hot water. Soak few minutes, run disposal. I dare anyone to find them :o)

That's why my house has a chimney.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I use a cross cut.
When working for the government we shredded them then sent them to be destroyed by either re-pulping in a paper mill or burned.
I agree about overkill for most of us. There is little anyone could profit from if they were able to access everything I throw away. Others make much more appealing targets. However there are incompetent crocks out there and they may think I am a good target and end up not getting much but causing me a lot of trouble; that is why I do shred.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Remember the Iranian "Students" who kidnapped the US Embassy Staff and held them hostage in about 1979? They actually raided the embassy shredders (not cross-cut) and reconstructed what they said were CIA documents by pasting the strips together.
Expensive? I have a cross cut shredder that I bought at Target two years ago for $17. It still works...
Beachcomber
(Beachcomber) wrote:

Yes, I do remember. Notice that one of them is now president of Iran?
--
Regards,
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:08:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.none (Beachcomber) wrote:

That's not much money. Sounds like it is foreign made. The foreign made ones photograph each page before shredding them, the radio the pictures to stations they have set up around the US,and finally they are transmitted to their home country.

I was thinking I would burn them and then shred them.

I burn them, shred them, put them through my wood chipper, and then beat them with a shovel. Then I move to a different country and change my name. Works every time.

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 03:00:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@xxoptonline.net (Cue) wrote:

What did they do to King on South Park. That's what I'm going to do to my documents.

One thing you can do is LOOK at all receipts before you throw them away. Most businesses equipment is set up so only the last 4 digits of your credit card number are visible. Some restaurants, gas stations and other small businesses have the whole account number printed on the receipt, along with your name. How handy! You REALLY don't want to throw that away without obliterating it completely.
NEVER throw receipts away at the place of business or in public places. Always keep them until you get home.
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:10:22 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I just mix my shreaded material with kitchen garbage. If you want to sort through coffee grounds, potato peels, dirty diapers and chicken bones to see I have $57 in my checking account, go for it.
what you do is crosscut shred everything twice, then burn it. take the ashes and mix with water and blend in a blender, then place blended mix in garbage disposal, ands be sure to flush toilet with you knowq what:)
Really theres so many ways to get info on you, paper is obsolete.
Use a wireless connection for your computer? Have good spyware on your computer, how about ALL the companies you deal with? Leaks can occur anywhere. A nosey bank custodian. How about the mail system.
Sure be careful with paperwork but the REAL leaks are high tech and out of your control:(
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Perhaps, but many cases of identity theft can be traced back to careless disposal of paper-based information.
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:30:59 -0700, Random Netizen

Some people are unable to think about more than ONE security threat.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

So you actually WANT spyware?
Something reminds me of wanting a bulletproof suit, and going out to buy a gun instead.
:-)