Improve flow in bathroom sink?

Our sink is slowly having more trouble emptying as we run the cold water out of the hot line in the morning. A plumber took the trap off and manually chiseled out the gunk in the horizontal section going into the wall. My knees wont support that type of work so I'm wondering if there are any other ideas to try. Would ammonia be a start?

Reply to
nospambob

"chiseled" out the gunk"

What did the plumber suggest? Why didn't he attempt to snake it when he had it apart? Or snake through the vent? Me thinks you're looking for the low or no cost miracle fix, you're not going to find.

Reply to
G Henslee

If it is typical hair gunk and grease, you could use any of the commercial drain cleaners, and see if that helps. I have used Drain-O and other liquids, with some success. Just follow instructions.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

There's that 'miracle' fix I mentioned.

Reply to
G Henslee

I have found that ammonia and bowl of hot water does wonders for maintenance of drain lines. As for when the gunk is all ready there replacement is probably best.

I use a 1/4 to 1/2 quart and a tub full of hot water down every drain once a month. I pour the ammonia down the drain before I use the bath tub. When I pull the plug the water does the flushing.

Reply to
SQLit

Plug the overflow hole in the sink with a wet rag or your hand (I use my hand as I can can gget a goood seal) then run some water and work it like hell with a plunger.

You'll be amazed (and probably disgusted) with what happens.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I poor a cup of chlorine bleach down the bathroom sink drain when it runs slow and let it sit for a few hours.. I am assuming the clog is mostly hair which the bleach disolves and that most of the clog is in the trap.

Then I rinse it down with the hottest water possible and it's good to go for another 4-5 months.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber