Impact Wrench Question

Hello to all.

After going through a third back surgery, I am looking for an easier way, to remove lug nuts on my three vehicles, and also to keep one in my main vehicles trunk. So naturally I am looking for a portable impact wrench. I like to do some of the work on my own vehicles, and sometimes the lugs need more force, then my back should be imparting. So, I am looking for advice, on what particular brand or model might be a good choice, with a fairly long battery life, sitting in the trunk, and wont be too strong to rip up the wheel bolts either, neither too weak, as I suppose some of those I see, that plug into the cigarette lighter. I am looking more towards the under 300 dollar range. Any suggestions or tips? It would also be good for the wife to have in the car, as she never has had the power to remove a lug nut, no matter how much she tried. She barely breaks 105 lbs, and we are getting older.

Thanks so much

Reply to
J.Lef

Fuggedaboutit. Just keep a few (more than one) cans of flat fix in each vehicle. If your back is so bad, you shouldn't be screwing around lifting tires or operating the jack either. If the flat fix doesn't get you going, call Triple-A on your cell phone. And do you really want your wife trying to change a stupid tire on the side of the road at night in the rain, as Big Rigs whiz by at 70 mph inches from her? You never know who might stop to "help her", either.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Like previous responder, get a can of flat fixer. Also an air pump, my wife used ours to pump up a low tire to get home from the supermarket.

Most rechargeable tools batteries lose 1 to 2% of their charge a day, maybe more in a hot trunk, so they would need to be recharged at least every 4 weeks. You might look at a non-rechargeable one and an inverter so you can run it off the car battery. You could also use it with a scissors jack to raise and lower the car too.

Reply to
Jeff

Assuming you don't have it why not just join AAA? What value will having a $300 impact wrench in your trunk be if your wife gets a flat while driving her car? And you said you had back issues so you still have to get the tire out of the trunk.

Reply to
George

Far more practical and reliable is to simply put a long-handled breakover bar in the trunk that has sufficient length to supply the leverage you and/or your wife need to break loose a lug nut. And, to be sure, I'd suggest you try it out with your wife for practice so her "first time" isn't some time when she actually is stranded.

I agree with you and disagree with the others that the "flat-fix" and/or AAA is sufficient emergency preparation. While it _might_ get you to some place where you can get assistance, there are instances where it won't be sufficient and certainly there are places where relying on AAA or other roadside services isn't practical, either. It all depends on whether you are in a heavily populated and travelled area or not, and if so, how risky it is to be on the roadside waiting. I'd far rather be able to have at least some control over my situation as much as possible, too.

If you want an impact wrench for around the garage for puttering, that's one thing, but I don't think it's the solution for the on-the-road emergency.

Reply to
dpb

Just get a 4' cheater bar, and add a socket wrench and appropriately sized socket. As for not fixing it yourself, and calling tripleA, it's one thing to decide that you're not going to change your own tire. It's quite another thing to not be ABLE to.

Reply to
Goedjn

I intended to add that one thing you definitely need to remember in an emergency situation--if it's only a flat tire, it's far better to drive (slowly, obviously) to a point of relative safety or service availability at the risk of ruining the tire and even a rim than be road kill or bait for predators, particularly given your physical limitations.

Reply to
dpb

Like one other poster said, use a standard X tyre wrench with a 2 or 3' piece of steel water pipe on one side. You'll be surprised what else the pipe comes in handy for.

Another "Made in China" battery appliance that will never work when you need it is about the last thing I would think of spending money on!

Reply to
glenn P

The other fellow had a good idea, about join AAA.

My idea is a 25 inch breaker bar, and an impact socket. I've used this for years, and it's a lot easier than a T-wrench, or the little angle thing they ship with vehicles.

You can get a lot of AAA membership for $300, but it's also true that you have to sit and wait while the guy shows up. And you can get several cans of Fix a Flat for that money. And a little air compressor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I agree that precautions against predators is in order, but a pistol is best for self protection.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Prevention is better than cure. Gempler's sells a goo that will stop almost all flats.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Only as last resort--far safer to remove self from danger zone.

Reply to
dpb

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:yMsUg.57015$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

I bought a $5 aircompressor at a Harbor Freight sidewalk sale,it works fine,but gets pretty hot after a short time,and you have to let it cool for

5 min after every 15 min of use;I've burnt myself a couple of times on the hot metal of the output where the hose attaches.(gotta make a shield for that!)

Has anyone tried those Harbor Freight 12V impact drivers they sell for emergency auto use? They clip across your car battery.

They do have a much lower number of impacts per minute than a air-driven tool,or one of the electric impact drivers. (there are even 18 and 24V cordless impact drivers now!)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Nick Hull wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@dialupusa.usenetserver.com:

I note that the directions on the label says that the cans are not to be stored in temps over 120 degF(typical aerosol can disclaimers);and any car gets at least that hot on a sunny day,usually around 140 degF.

It's often difficult getting that goo INTO the tire through that tiny valve stem,at least enough goo to do the job.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Gempler's is smooth, not lumpy like the Co-op's. They supply a pump so you pump 1 oz per stroke.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Or even don't go into danger zone to begin with, but shit happens.

Reply to
Nick Hull