impact screwdriver

Page 2 of 3

Nonny wrote:

Put a screwdriver bit in your impact drill. Same thing.
--
LSMFT

Having used both, I can tell you that you are very wrong.
Your impact drill doesn't impact nearly as hard as the hand tool. That makes a HUGE difference on a stuck screw. In the case of the previously mentioned motorcycle engines, with steel screws in aluminum cases, an impact drill would strip the heads, or break the heads off without loosening them. The hand tool applies a lot more force per hammer blow. It never strips the slot, and if it snaps the head off, it usually also turned it at least a little, so you are left with something to work on.
That first movement of the screw, even if slight is the key. At that point, you can predict who will win most of the time.

Wrong.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Agree. Anyone who can say that doesn't have a clue what an impact driver does.

Are you saying that about what an impact driver does, or that I say the statement is wrong?
If you are saying that putting a screwdriver bit in an electric impact is the same as a manual impact driver, I disagree with you.
If you are saying that someone who thinks they are the same and equal is wrong, then I agree with you.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

I thought I was quite clear. I agreed with you, and commented on the previos claim.

Okay. Now I'm sure, too.
Steve
On 7/13/2010 10:39 AM, Bob F wrote:

second that. One is totally different than the other.
--
Steve Barker
Nonny wrote:

I agree with most of this thread except the above "hold the screwdriver firmly while tapping on it with a hammer".
Tapping it? I hit it with a 2# sledge like notbob mentioned.
Nonny posted for all of us...

AND your question is?
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Were you born stupid, or did you just practice an awful lot?
Steve
On 7/15/2010 9:54 PM Steve B spake thus:

Either explanation will do; after all, this is the person (Mr. Techical know-it-all, apparently) who posted

in another thread here.
David Nebenzahl posted for all of us...

So a little levity isn't allowed here nebby? Sure beats the dumb situations and useless drivel you post. You run out of pills?
-- Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Steve B posted for all of us...

OK Steve Barfer please quote the question in the original post. You can't because there was none. It was just an undirected post on impact screwdrivers and you and nebby think you are the worlds greatest experts on everything.
-- Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
On 7/20/2010 6:27 PM, Tekkie wrote:

i hope you're not referring to me. I am not Steve B.
--
Steve Barker

I don't even look like him.
Steve
Steve Barker posted for all of us...

Sorry, thank you for correcting me. I meant Steve Bee
-- Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

OK Steve Barfer please quote the question in the original post. You can't because there was none. It was just an undirected post on impact screwdrivers and you and nebby think you are the worlds greatest experts on everything.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Well, aside from the fact that nebby and I ARE the world's greatest experts
Yes, my post was to inform folk, rather than to ask a question.
Nonny

The sober here caught that from the get go. We just chimed in with our experiences with this handy dandy tool. I guess some could not keep up.
Steve