impact screwdriver

I dont know what the difference is between Manual Impact and one of the new 18v impact drivers is, but they are labeled as an Impact Driver, Some are not big but all major cordless tool makers offer them and they are cheaper than many drills. I saw at sears several big and very heavy 24v inpact drivers by maybe Sears and Dewalt that looked like they could do any job on a car, and there are many more lighter duty units, lighter than drills for screws. For screws they surpass drills in heavy work like making decks. Popular Mechanics magazine just did a review of 9 LiIon Impact Drivers, but not the big ones I saw at Sears.

reply: A manual impact driver is driven by a hammer. An electric is driven by a motor. An electric drill with an impact setting is an electric impact wrench, not an electric impact driver. HTH.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

Wrong.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

And, an electric "impact driver" is unlikely to be of any use when an impact driver is needed.

Reply to
Bob F

Agree. Anyone who can say that doesn't have a clue what an impact driver does.

Reply to
Bob F

Right. They are two very distinct tools that work on two entirely different principles. Mr. Ransley was in error to compare the two. You MAY be able to remove some screws with an electric impact, but if it's really in there, all you will do is either strip it out or break the tip. The shock of the hammer, coupled with the twist at the moment of shock is what knocks the fastener loose. If one notices, the bits are black, indicating a hardened steel. It all happens in an instant, and only happens once per blow. If you are all lined up, and hit it right, it only takes one to two blows. What amazed me was the price of these little jewels versus the work they do, and do well.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

Are you saying that about what an impact driver does, or that I say the statement is wrong?

If you are saying that putting a screwdriver bit in an electric impact is the same as a manual impact driver, I disagree with you.

If you are saying that someone who thinks they are the same and equal is wrong, then I agree with you.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

I thought I was quite clear. I agreed with you, and commented on the previos claim.

Reply to
Bob F

"Bob F" wrote

Okay. Now I'm sure, too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

second that. One is totally different than the other.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Nonny posted for all of us...

AND your question is?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Were you born stupid, or did you just practice an awful lot?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On 7/15/2010 9:54 PM Steve B spake thus:

Either explanation will do; after all, this is the person (Mr. Techical know-it-all®, apparently) who posted

in another thread here.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

It's called a impact driver.

tnom

Steve B posted for all of us...

OK Steve Barfer please quote the question in the original post. You can't= =20 because there was none. It was just an undirected post on impact screwdrive= rs=20 and you and nebby think you are the worlds greatest experts on everything.

--=20 Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Reply to
Tekkie®

David Nebenzahl posted for all of us...

So a little levity isn't allowed here nebby? Sure beats the dumb situation= s=20 and useless drivel you post. You run out of pills?

--=20 Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Reply to
Tekkie®

i hope you're not referring to me. I am not Steve B.

Reply to
Steve Barker

OK Steve Barfer please quote the question in the original post. You can't because there was none. It was just an undirected post on impact screwdrivers and you and nebby think you are the worlds greatest experts on everything.

Reply to
Steve B

I don't even look like him.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Yes, my post was to inform folk, rather than to ask a question.

Nonny

Reply to
Nonnymus

The sober here caught that from the get go. We just chimed in with our experiences with this handy dandy tool. I guess some could not keep up.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B