Ill. man killed trying to steal power lines

Page 2 of 2

No, she was thinking about Uranus.
Add pictures here
✖

Allegedly thinking?
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 15, 2:07 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

Even though every fiber of my being tells me not to, I'll defend Home Guy here.
He said: "Finally, a *headline writer* with some guts/balls."
In the vast majority of instances, the author of the article (e.g. the person who used the words "investigators believe") is not the same person who write the headlines.
Headlines are usually written by the copy editors as they piece the paper together, trying to fit everything onto the pages while grabbing your attention so that you'll buy their paper and/or hang around their website.
In this case, the copy editor had the sack to leave out the word "allegedly". In addition, the author simply regurgitated what the "investigators believe" and didn't write anything that could be considered libelous or non-libelous.
Add pictures here
✖

Another way out is to quote "an unknown witness at the scene".
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖

Either it was by me, or I thought about it and didn't post, or I should have thought of it and didn't, or the guy wasn't dead. People did give the reason of libel suits, didn't they?
The fifth possibility is that they are in the habit of saying allegedly and it's easier to always do so than to make a choice each time, because assuredly they will eventually choose wrong and open themselves up to a libel suit when the guy can prove he's innocent.
In the US iirc, a successful libel suit has to show that the statements were false. In Britain, the alleged libeler has to show that the statements he made were true. Makes people accused of libel in England much more vulnerable Truth is a defense in both places bu the burden of proof is on the respondent in England.

Add pictures here
✖

I tried to make that point to Homeguy a couple months ago when he last brought this subject up. If you're running a news organization who's going to decide when to use the word allegedly and when not too? What would be the criteria? And how much time are you going to waste each time you have to decide. The news organization doesn't want to be making the call if the party in question really did commit the offense or not, for ethical as well as legal reasons. Simple solution is to always use "allegedly". Don't think any of us have a problem with that, with one exception.
Add pictures here
✖

If you google that, you'll find it NOT universally true. Depends on state law. AT first glance, Texas and Rhode Island may be exceptions.
--
Best regards
Han

Where's the .jpg of him looking like burnt toast like a squirrel shorting out some three phase 440 lines?
Steve
Add pictures here
✖