If you need any electric motor

Page 2 of 2
On 2/16/2016 5:32 PM, philo wrote:

Oh, I really like that. Lots of sharp focus and then a blur to draw the eye. Love it!
On 02/16/2016 06:13 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Again thank you.
That was taken at a supper club about 20 miles south of Milwaukee. It was built in 1954 and it has stayed mostly unchanged.
On 2/16/2016 6:29 PM, philo wrote:

What's the story behind the photo?
--
Maggie

On 02/16/2016 09:19 PM, Muggles wrote:

When you buy the book, you will find out, but briefly, the guy at the bar is my friend Doug.
My wife and I along with Doug and his wife and a few friends stopped in that the Hob Nob on our way back from Chicago.
When my wife and I discovered the place many years ago, we almost did not go in because we thought it might be too expensive.
Every car in the lot was a Mercedes!
We went in anyway and found out that a Mercedes owners club had rented a private dining room and you did not have to own one to dine there.
We could afford the place and we love it
On 2/17/2016 5:04 AM, philo wrote:

Nice story. :)
--
Maggie

On 2/16/2016 3:19 PM, philo wrote:

Good for him! Defending himself.
--
Maggie

On 2/16/2016 3:19 PM, philo wrote:

Sounds like a lot of work! Hope it comes out great!

--
Maggie

On 02/16/2016 05:19 PM, Muggles wrote:

With my wife at the helm it's absolutely going to be splendid. It is a lot of work and my wife is just the person to do it.

He killed the would-be robber not so much to protect himself, as to protect his customers.
This was the SECOND time he shot at would be robbers.
On 2/16/2016 12:54 PM, philo wrote:

Now, that is customer care. Good job, sir.
I had a similar conversation with a customer a while back. Same general idea. More bills, and lower dollar value.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 11:54:08 AM UTC-6, philo wrote:

Our limit was $200 on a single item! And it didn't change in 16 years! They finally had to sell their holdings in the US (Canadian) because of lawsuits in about 6 states. We had suppliers/service that would split-bill as you did.
On 02/16/2016 12:31 PM, bob_villain wrote:

<snip>

Fortunately I had learned that trick from an old time salesman who taught me the ropes soon after I got hired.
We sold industrial batteries and he taught me how to get things done in impossible situations.
One local manufacturer did not have us on their vendor list as a source for batteries so they bought from a competitor.
Our salesman buddied up to their maintenance department and found out that they could spend something like $1000 a month on replacement parts from wherever they wished.
One of their 18 cell batteries died, so for three months in a row we sold them six replacement cells.
What they got however was simply one, fully assembled 18 cell battery.
On 2/16/2016 12:41 PM, philo wrote:

Most companies have silly rules like this.
I was writing a contract many years ago and the issue of "spare parts" came up. We obviously didn't want to be nickeled and dimed with lots of little requests -- esp as it would be possible that the requests were not for "spares" but, rather, the same parts that could be used in other projects (like turning us into their "nuts and bolts" supplier: "Gee, they're sure ordering a lot of nuts and bolts! I didn't think we'd sold them that many units?!!")
We tried all sorts of proposals: dollar amounts, quantities, frequency of requests, etc.
Finally, their guy stated it simply: let's not put any language in the contract regarding these things. If we get to be a pest, you can just "conveniently" start quoting us 52 week lead times!
He was the smartest businessman I'd encountered -- and since! "We're BOTH in this to make money. If WE make all the money at YOUR expense, YOU won't want to stay in this business. Then, WE won't have a product!"
On 02/16/2016 02:24 PM, Don Y wrote:
)

Glad to know not everyone is as stupid as my boss.
BTW: I gave several of my bosses such hard times, they were transferred elsewhere.
One was yanked out, the other asked to be taken out.
I was probably the only person who had the guts to write directly to the CEO.
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 13:24:29 -0700, Don Y

You just make the nuts and bolts reflect your actual cost plus a fair markup. If you are running a tech parts room like I did, we figured it cost about $65 to sell an empty box if we had to invoice it and bill the customer. There was no "cash".

And hire someone to do all of that?
We were an engineering company. We wanted to do engineering, not stock and supply parts (to a $20B company).
Their rep had the right solution: don't put rules in place cuz all that will do is cause folks to "get creative" about how they worked AROUND the rules. Instead, assume each party is aware of the issues and doesn't want to cause the other pain.
E.g., their R&D types could more easily get parts from us "as spares" -- regardless of what they actually wanted to use them for -- than to cut a PO and "go through corporate". So, they have a big incentive not to wear out their welcome -- causing us to drag our feet as much as their corporate, would!
We, of course, wanted to encourage good will between a valuable customer/client and ourselves -- without it becoming too distracting to our normal business.
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:10:10 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've done a lot of business with them when I worked for a company that had an account with them. They are well stocked and have darn near everything related to motors, and more. But their prices are high. Yet, I was always satisfied with their products and that means a lot.
If I was buying for myself, I'd probably shop around. I'll keep the URL posted at the start of this thread.
On 02/16/2016 11:23 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Yeah. For an industrial customer it was one thing but if I were buying a motor for my own use...to pay more than $50 for a 1/10th HP motor would be pretty tough.
Last time I had to do that I found some surplus place on-line.
I usually get motors from either Grainger or Johnstone Supply. However, Grainger sure seems to be really raising the prices on motors lately. Even Grainger's own brand, Dayton Motors, which were made in the USA are now made in China.
Hi Tony,
On 2/16/2016 12:32 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Is your recommendation solely based on *price*? As you mentioned this is a *second* purchase, they presumably have a wide selection?