If you had roofing work done:

m...

at the time this occured CO detectors for homes werent available ..........

and the chimey sweep who I had fix it stated clearly it should of been fixed by the roofer

Reply to
hallerb

Umm... If the roofer is only doing work on the outside surface of your roof, then anything that happens inside the attic other than the appearance of a water leak in the new roof isn't the roofer's problem... Making sure your attic is clean inside would only be within the roofer's scope of work if they had to replace the roof decking and had to strip your roof down to the rafters... Otherwise, cleaning up INSIDE your house is your responsibility unless you arrange for your contractor to take care of that extra work for you at an additional expense because you are either unable or unwilling to do it yourself...

Saying that a contractor is required to OR SHOULD be checking up on your house on things way outside the scope of their work is crazy... It shows that you really don't know enough about home repairs to do more than ask silly questions on a newsgroup...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

And I don't put much stock in home inspectors either. Several friends of mine ARE home inspectors - and nothing against them, but I know of others that can make a mountain out of a molehill, and then turn around and miss Mount Everest.

Reply to
clare

All this is true on a solid roof deck - like plywood or (gasp) OSB - but what about on a roof where the board decking has 1 inch (or more) gaps, like on many of the roofs I've stripped in years and decades past????

Reply to
clare

If the roofer did not cut a hole into the roof or go up in the attic to access some aspect of the job, cleaning the attic is not within the scope of the roofing work...

Someone who is that anal to want whatever small debris that would fall into the attic from a roofing job to be cleaned up by the contractor doing the roofing work has other issues they need to address which have nothing to do with home repair...

BTW, I have only seen some roofs with the gaps in the sheeting which used solid roofing materials like wooden shakes or slate tiles, as asphalt shingles require a solid deck to be used on a roof...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I've removed a fair amount of Cedar over the years, as well as the old interlocking asphalt shingles that were installed on open board sheathing. Then there's the "old" tin shingle, as well as standing seam and corrugated metal. Generally requires laying plywood over the boards for modern 3-tab or architectural shingles.

Reply to
clare

I've seen shingles used with 1x roof decking. It was quite common up to perhaps fifty years ago. Those houses haven't gone anywhere.

Reply to
krw

My furnace is in the basement. I don't have recessed lighting.

What are covers on a furnace? You mean the vents? They're screwed in place.

Reply to
ktos

They are talking about skip sheathing, which was common before asphalt roofs, so as to keep the bottom of the wood shingles dry.

Reply to
aemeijers

On Jun 12, 12:27=A0pm, "Tyler" wrote:.

In a total electric home?

Reply to
Ron

Any females in the house, with the usual curling irons, stinky candles, flat irons, crockpots, ad infinitum? Any fireplaces, gas or wood? Any soldering irons? Ever put up a Christmas tree with old-style light bulbs on it? 'Total electric' does not eliminate the chance of CO problems, it just reduces them. Anything hot near anything that can burn can produce a slow smoldering fire.

I need to get one myself, but since I live alone, none of the above apply to me. Furnace and water heater, both gas fired, are my only two plausible ignition points. Just never got a round tuit.

Reply to
aemeijers

I live alone too, and if I die from CO poisoning from a candle or Crock-Pot....then so be it. If I start living with a female again and I die from a curling iron...then so be it.

Reply to
Ron

LOL... Well, then they wouldn't have had a problem with the furnace flue in the first place. Would they?

Reply to
Tyler

Interesting take. Why would you call a chimney sweep, since you claim it's a roofer's job?

Reply to
Tyler

No, and no.

However, I don't think that smearing some tar and press on some fiberglass of a trailer will knock the access panels off my furnace. Nor drop dust on my lights.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Huh? Things deteriorate over time. How often is a homeowner going to hire a home inspector to inspect the whole home, when almost nothing has changed. Or do they have a special rate for things on the roof?

At any rate, how often do you hire a home inspector? The guy is ON the roof already. At the very least, if he knows nothing, he could look at the chimney and say it if is crumbling. Or that the cap is half=way off, if he can't tell it's missing when it's totally missing.

There can be a lot of deterioration before it actually causes CO. Or there could be nothing wrong yet except the missing cap. If the roofer wants his business to grow, he should spend a 2 or 4 hours and find out how to inspect a chimney, etc. That will either set him apart from the average roofer and get him much approval if he notices something important, or if other roofers already know, he won't be looking worse than they anymore.

I don't look for people to blame. That's your theory about other people.

In this case someone had symptoms. In other cases, there is a visible problem on the roof but no symptoms inside the house.

No one is doing that.

Reply to
mm

I knew a guy who was curled to death. He made a circle 24 inches in diameter. Had to be uncurled to fit in the coffin.

Reply to
mm