If you had roofing work done:

  1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace or recessed lighting?
  2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off from the vibration from all the hammering? These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.
Reply to
Molly Brown

did you inspect the chimney and cap from above?

in places with freezing weather a cracked cap can let water get between the liner and chimney bricks, the rain water freezes and expands the liner breaks and falls down blocking the flue...

it nearly killed my family, a friend happened to stop to visit he is a volunteer fireman and realized the symptoms which began to effect him too was carbon monoxide.

the roof had been replaced but the roofer didnt fix the badly detoriated cap

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks for thinking of us, but up here in cold country, almost nobody has recessed lights (heat leaks unless you get the expensive kind or build a box around them), and furnaces are in the frigging basement where they belong.

Reply to
aemeijers

Say what? Using your analogy, if I had my windows replaced, I should be complaining they didn't fix my steps on the deck.

Do you not have your heating components checked, and expect anyone NOT qualified to go ahead and just fix stuff?

I do believe if a roofer were to fix a HVAC problem, they could be sued, or at least have their license revoked.

Does that mean, next time I have a HVAC person in, to complain they didn't clean my gutters?

Reply to
Tyler

well you still have to check it when you put in a new basement floor.

Reply to
mm

Huh? Our furnace is in the basement. I have a metal roof which will last more than 50 years.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Of course, whole house shakes.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Did you check to see rotted wood was replaced, flashing inserted on the chimney not just caulked on, proper grade of nails used. Ive been cheated all the time, you should have gotten a permit and the free inspection, then paid.

Reply to
ransley

True up to a point- the tradesman should not DO any work outside of his license and skill set, but most tradesmen a generalists to a degree, and they should definitely Speak Up about any problems they note while working on whatever they were hired for. So if the roofer (or more likely, the guy up on the roof doing the estimate) notices problems with the chimney, he should say 'hey while I was up there, I noticed something that you should probably take care of before we strip your roof off.'

Reply to
aemeijers

  1. If your dryer vent exited through the roof, does it still do so after the roofers leave?
  2. While we're at it, does the gas water heater vent still vent through the roof?
  3. Not connected to the possible fire issue, but do the sewer vents still vent through the roof?
Reply to
HeyBub

This _may_ be true, "if" the problem existed b/4 the roof was done. It may also be true "if" they were looking for problems.

It would be like blaming a plumber replacing a soil stack, the roof is leaking & they didn't mention the roof was bad.

Way too many people don't want to take responsibility as a home owner. If one is not capable of finding problems or potential problems with their home, they should hire a home inspector. Blaming a roofer for _not_ finding a HVAC problem or masonry problem, which _may_ or may _not_ existed, is showing how irresponsible of a homeowner they are.

Reply to
Tyler

..

Tyler wrote:

Way too many people don't want to take responsibility as a home owner. If one is not capable of finding problems or potential problems with their home, they should hire a home inspector. Blaming a roofer for _not_ finding a HVAC problem or masonry problem, which _may_ or may _not_ existed, is showing how irresponsible of a homeowner they are.

We=92re not talking about finding a =93HVAC problem=94. We=92re talking abo= ut finding a life threatening hazardous situation. According to your logic if the furnace or water heater vent doesn=92t have a bucket where it enters the roof then the roofer shouldn=92t be responsible for just roofing around it like the previous roofer did, or I shouldn=92t be responsible if I shove your ninety year old grandmother when she gets in front of me on line even if she does drop dead of a heart attack. As for knowing if the problem existed before or not, it is part of the preliminary work site inspection to look UNDER the roof as well as over it; and yes life is a bitch, and then you die.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Would be kinda difficult with the furnace in the basement - - - - - .

Reply to
clare

The floor generally outlasts the house built over it.

Reply to
clare

Oh. Well, what if you have to dig it up to bury someone? Be sure to check the furnace for parts dislodged by the jack hammer vibration. Crime Detective, June 1988, page 114.

Reply to
mm

around here the roofer is supposed to inspect the chimney cap when doing a complete re roof.

the roof was replaced in july, the carbon monoxide poisioning in december

so it definetely was a problem when the roof was replaced.

and since my ladder doesnt reach to the chimney height and i dont like heights to begin with its the roofers job and a pretty easy one at that.........

I have replaced chimney caps on other homes since then.

Inspect cap if its cracked remove broken masonary, clean area so new cement sticks.

Mix new cement and place neatly and finish so its smooth. Mostly the hassle is the inconvenient location.......

Reply to
hallerb

Well, if they want repeat customers and referrals, they take the 2 minutes to look at what's up there when they're up there. It's not like the deck and the windows which are easy to look at. It's almost never easy to get up on the roof (unless a window looks out on it), and the older people get the harder it gets. And a sloped roof gets riskier the older one is.

A report by a roofer, who doesn't stand to get money from a repair, can be even more helpful than a report from a mason or HVAC guy, who might possibly be finding work to do that need not be done. Of course a roofer who doesn't really know how to tell should say to the owner just what he knows, no more, no less, and how much he knows about chimney.

Yes people should be responsible, and when it comes to homes, if they're not responsible they're likely to pay for it.

But even responsible people, those who inspected their chimneys in some other way, might well be annoyed if the roofer was up there and didnt' report anything, especially if other roofers in the area do check things out, and for example, a friend tells the first guy how his roofer found safety problems with his chimney.

Reply to
mm

Hehe-- My friends are always asking who I have buried in the basement. For 20 years I've been lowering the floor in the basement of my 100yr old house. Last summer I removed the furnace & lowered that section. I guess I'm lucky the furnace was outside [in pieces] when I was running the Stomper down there.

Now the only part of the basement that has a new, permanent floor is the 6x10 slab that the new furnace sits on.

I do use a Bosch demo-hammer to break up the clay- so next time I'm digging down there I'll keep an eye on the new furnace. [the old 'floor', an inch of rotten concrete comes up easy]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I see I struck a nerve about being irresponsible. A _responsible_ homeowner would have at least 1 CO detector, a lot of homeowner's have two CO detectors. One shouldn't have to wait for a someone to tell you, the symptoms you have are from CO, then try to blame a contractor, which has nothing to do with it. That is irresponsibility at it's finest.

Reply to
Tyler

That is what home inspectors are for. Aside from that, a responsible homeowner will have CO detectors. Who are you going to blame about _not_ having CO detectors?

You don't wait for someone to tell you, the symptoms you have, are from CO poisioning. Sooner or later, people have to take on being a responsible homeowner, whether they like it or not. You can't keep pointing fingers, believing that excuses you from being responsible.

Reply to
Tyler